• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator Wiring?

catatau

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just bought a 2000 ford ranger that’s been swapped with a 1998 ford explorer 5.0. The wiring on it is no good. I’ve got an alternator with a plug that has two wires. Does anyone know where those go to? My battery isn’t getting charged.

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
Hook the yellow to the main power stud and the green needs to see 12v with the key in the run position.

catatau

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hook the yellow to the main power stud and the green needs to see 12v with the key in the run position.
Whats a main power stud? Like the mega fuse?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The B+ terminal on the back of the alternator is a "Main Power" stud, and the one he was referring to I think

Yellow wire would normally run to a 10-15amp fuse in engine fuse box, it would be labelled ALT, it has 12v all the time, like the main stud

Green wire should go to dash board battery light, it has 12v when key is on, and if alternator does quit working then Battery Light would come on, like it should do with key on engine off, because alternator is not work at that time :)

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I am bringing up this question too. Does anyone have a photo of exactly where the yellow/white wire connects? A photo of where the green/red wire connects?

So on the swap writeup, it says:
"The short Black wire with White stripe from the plug is now going to be used for the Yellow/White alternator wire."
"The 1996-1997 Explorer harness has pin 41 empty. This is a Light Green/Red wire for the alternator light. From the alternator, connect this wire to the Ranger side of plug 41 or take the wire and pin from the Ranger motor plug and connect it through the plug."

But, I found that the short black and white wire is in plug 41 on the ranger side. So does the yellow/white wire connect to it, or the green/red? Then where does the other wire go?

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The yellow/white wire FROM the alternator does not go into the cab, it goes to engine Fuse box, it needs a 15amp fuse that has power all the time

Light Green/red wire FROM the alternator does go into the cab and to the instrument cluster, pin 3
It only has power with key ON

Black/white stripe wire is a Ground in any circuits I have seen, Black/red stripe can be 12v
Alternator doesn't have a ground "wire" it is grounded via the case bolted to the engine

Ford reuses wire colors in different circuits, so make sure the wire you got is the wire you "think it is" :)

Last edited:

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Light Green/red wire FROM the alternator does go into the cab and to the instrument cluster, pin 3
It only has power with key ON
On the harness, pin 3 is used, would I just tap into that wire?

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh wait, it goes to the in-cab fuse panel to the instrument cluster fuse?

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
From my ranger manual, I have this...

Fuse 11: 7.5A Instrument cluster, 4x4, Main light switch,
Truck Central Security Module (TCSM),
GEM

Fuse 26: 10A Battery saver relay, Auxiliary relay box,
Restraint Central Module (RCM), Generic
Electronic Module (GEM), Instrument
cluster

On the charging diagram in the manual is shows it going to a 7.5 fuse.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pin 3 on one of the instrument cluster connectors, not the firewall connector

2003 Ranger wiring
Fuse 11 7.5 amp in cab fuse box has a yellow wire that runs to pin 2 on instrument cluster C220 , same C220 pin 3 has the green wire that runs to alternator

So
12v(key on)----Fuse 11---------(yellow)----------(pin2)instrument cluster(pin3)-------(green/red)---firewall--------(green/red)----alternator's 3 wire connector

That's the Battery Light circuit in 2003

usmc2003ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Awesome. Thank you. So the easiest thing will basically be for me to take the cluster out rather than wire track?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals