• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer t-case swap?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, so my 2006 ranger is in need of a transfer case, and I don't have the time to try rebuilding mine on my own (i'll do it once I get a new one swapped in to learn)

But, finding a ranger transfer case is a pain, but I found a 1354 elec shift from a 2001 explorer 4.0 4x4. in theory according to what I've read in the tech library it is exactly the same. so it should be a direct swap.

Am i correct in thinking this? The library only goes up to 2004 rangers, but i would assume ford didn't change anything in that department between 2004 and my 2006

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm awaiting for the same response... I believe they will interchange but don't quote me yet, let's wait for someone who knows more about it...

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
only thing i can see being different is possibly the shift motor and it's associated module in the truck. Which I think wouldnt be an issue, but if it is I could use the motor off my ranger onto the expo case.

I'm just going to purchase this transfer case and see how it goes.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm planning on going to the junk yard this weekend and steal one from an explorer, I hope it fits my ranger. Yours is way newer though, I have a 98, I have no clue about the what years interchange to what, but post back with the results, I'll do the same..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ended up pulling my case out last night. and i know a guy who rebuilds transmissions and transfercases, hes going to crack mine open and see what would be needed for a rebuild before I go ahead and get the explorer case.

Will update.

Side note, incredibly easy to get the case out. hardest part was breaking loose the bolts holding the driveshaft to the t.case flange lol.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes, that will work in your truck.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
6.2 did you get it rebuilt? I'd be curious about what was wrong with yours and how much it cost you. I'm planning on opening my old one and see what I need to rebuild it. Post back with your findings..

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I did get it rebuilt. I haven't asked what all was wrong yet ,but parts+labor was $600. Had my dad take it in since he goes to the shop often. Gave him a discount rate haha but I didnt ask what all they did. basic gist I got was the chain stretched and was slipping so it was making a mess inside of everything.

but there she is. totally fresh and ready to go. If i wake up early enough tomorrow I'll toss it back in the truck and fill it up with fluid.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wow, that was quite pricey but I guess if they put all new guts in it should be worth it. Looks good, I haven't had time to open mine yet but I'm thinking I'll buy the parts and do it myself, let us know how it works after you put it in.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
little pricey, keep in mind im in canada, so 600 CAD is about 450 USD.

it's basically all new internals. so I think thats a very fair price.

got it back in this weekend and it works like a charm now. im excited for winter.

fr7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm glad for you. I want to rebuild my old one soon, winter is around the corner. I'm running out of time though, I still have a rear end to swap, I'll start a new thread on that...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals