• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 BII does some weird "stuttering"

deadatmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Its always done this to a degree. I was hoping it'd stop all together when I ripped out the computer and dist. and threw in an MSD box to use the magnetic trigger from a new distributor. But now, sometimes while accelerating I don't get all the juice and it stutters like crazy. The only way I can describe it is when you talk in to a box fan on low and it chops your voice up. That's kind of what it sounds like with the jolting. It also does some bad surging and jumping when I'm cruising in gear and have my foot off the gas.

I removed and plugged all the vacuum lines at the tree in the back of the manifiold and plugged them off. All but the break booster and cruise control lines. Then cut the vacuum line at the front of the carb in half and put a T and ran the vacuum advance right in to there. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for reading guys.:icon_bounceblue:

deadatmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh yeah, also

Happpy new year everybody! :icon_cheers:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you still have the feedback carb and tfi, check the tfi. My 84 did that for a long time then out of the blue quit.

deadatmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope

If you still have the feedback carb and tfi, check the tfi. My 84 did that for a long time then out of the blue quit.
Changed the distributor to that for the 2.8 in a 79 Mustang like the technical library told me to do. I tried out a stock DurasparkII module but I believe we fried that... So I went and bought a little black MSD Ignition box and a Blaster 2 coil. The MSD box plugs in to the magnetic pickup in the distributor.

So does this sound like my timing is off? Should I give it a compression test also? From what I said earlier, does my vacuum plumbing sound correct to anyone?

Attachments

deadatmind

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nope

Also, it is the feedback carb. Just got a pretty good check, might buy a Holley 350cfm 2bbl next week. =D

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Doesn't sound like a vacuum issue to me. Have you rebuilt the carb? Could have a plugged passage. I'd also look at your ignition system past the distributor - cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. Sounds like a miss to me.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals