• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues, truck doesn't run right

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Let me see if i can list out the issues for you...

check engine light stays on, OD doesn't work, my innova obd reader says codes codes 113: intake air charge temp sensor above max voltage, 117: engine coolant temp sensor below min voltage, 118: engine coolant temp sensor above max voltage, and 123: throttle position sensor above max voltage.

i swapped the air charge temp sensor out with my explorer today, and nothing changed..

btw this is a 92 explorer motor and harness in an 88 b2.

are these related? could it be that all the sensors are on the same harness and it be a harness issue? is the OD problem related?

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well,
Sorry to say I'm "glad" I'm not the onlyone having issues with an 92 motor/harness in an 88... Seriopusly though the codes that spit for the sensora are usually just them being a bit out of design range and not enought to really cause s significant issue. That said the code reader does not show the actual reading of the sensor, mores the pity. I'd say the throttle sensor would be the best guess and that can affect the OD. Just my .02.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
id start with the tps as well, rigs act pretty funny with them messing up. could be throwing the other codes as well. are u resetting the codes? does it act up or just throwing codes and no od? hows your coolant level?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
id start with the tps as well, rigs act pretty funny with them messing up. could be throwing the other codes as well. are u resetting the codes? does it act up or just throwing codes and no od? hows your coolant level?
coolant level is fine, and i'm erasing the codes when i have my reader on it.. and it resets the same ones everytime.. sounds like i'll be swapping the TPS when i get home.

sorry explorer :D

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i do know that when i did the 2.3 in my 00 ranger, all of a sudden like 4 sensors went out at the same time, dont know the cause but i replaced em one by one till the problems and codes went away

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm doing that.. but i'm swapping off the explorer till its fixed so i don't have to buy 4 sensors...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
um... well, if i would have known to use a ranger harness back then... it might have been easier. but i didn't know that when i did the swap.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mine left me on the side of the road tonight. Changed fuel filter last night. Truck will run, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it sputters and dies. Acts like there is air in the fuel line.

TPS or fuel pump?

Sorry for the thread jack.

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
Mine left me on the side of the road tonight. Changed fuel filter last night. Truck will run, but as soon as I hit the throttle, it sputters and dies. Acts like there is air in the fuel line.

TPS or fuel pump?

Sorry for the thread jack.
If you can hear your pump when you first turn on the key, it should be fine, you might want to check the fuel rail pressure at the valve, it might have air in it too, I'm not sure if it would cycle it all out.

remove the TPS, and use a multimeter to check it and see if it has any dead spots in it.

Robert

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What's my fuel pressre supposed to be? I can here the pump runnin.

Had relay problems after my swap. Fuel pump is wired to aswitch

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i think its 44-55psi. anyways 99.9% of the time truck wont start sometimes when fuel pump is going out. also tps will not do that unless it is severly fawk up(like unplugged fawd up). im thinking maybe the regulator, do the rbv's of that year have the "sock" filter in tank as well? if so start by cleaning that and fuel pump terminals

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Not a biggie on the hijack, I do it all the time! Lol

But on my truck- the check engine light went off some, and when it was off- I had overdrive! Lol. But the light was flashing moris code at me..... (insert few choice words)

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the morning went down like this for the b2,
woke up- tore out the filter box, found a harness on the exhaust. fixed two wires...

put the computer on it, found out that the only codes i had was above max and below min voltage on the air charge temp sensor, erased those codes.. took out the air charge temp sensor and found it was covered in oil (the explorer i swapped it out with blows oil in the intake, idk???) so i swapped the sensors back after cleaning both of them.

let it idle for about 10 mins, no check engine light... drove it down 61 to goodman and back, no light; drove it to dollar general and back, no light. and i've had overdrive the whole time.. so maybe its fixed..

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm havin the overdrive issues too, It got cold today, not feelin it to much. I'm wonderin if I'm havin vacuum issues. I'm really thinkin that its the regulator since its an 80 dollar part

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals