• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Keeping my engine warm

Oravec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok so i never had any heating problems with my bronco in Phoenix, Arizona, usually it was cooling problems. Since i joined the military i have been sent overseas, somewhere cold, i bought a 1996 BMW 328i. i know this is a bronco forum but people here don't know too much about anything. it takes forever to heat up and when it does it cools down due too the temp outside. i know there are things you can put on half of the grill to trap the heat in but i just wondered if anyone knew what was good to put in there.
thank you

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Probably you need a higher temperature thermostat. 195 degrees or so. Back in my Montana days, we would slide a piece of cardboard in front of some of the radiator when it got super cold. Gotta remember to take it out when the weather warms up. I don't miss those times.:yahoo:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You could always buy it a blanket.

Seriously though, if you live somewhere with an outside power outlet, I'd get a block heater put in. You leave it plugged in over night, and the coolant is already warm the next morning.

Oravec

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok cool, i wasn't sure if i could use cardboard, aluminum foil, or iv even heard of a road sign. cardboard doesn't pose a fire hazard or anything like that right? thats the last thing i need on this car is for it to light up. thanks again

bensemailis

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always buy it a blanket.

Seriously though, if you live somewhere with an outside power outlet, I'd get a block heater put in. You leave it plugged in over night, and the coolant is already warm the next morning.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to install a block heater in the 2.9s?

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
mine has been running real cool this winter (39-55 degree temps) last summer i put a 2" radiator in it and this winter the mech temp gauge dosnt get above 130. But the truck runs GREAT. I think i will put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad. see it that will bring the temp up a little.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals