• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Leaf springs 89 BII

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
While swaping tires on my 89 BII 2.9 5 speed I noticed that the rear leaf springs, both sides are cracked where it joins to the spring preach. The main leaf where it wraps around the bolt in the pearch is cracked & sperated about a 1/4 of an inch. I looked at the donor BII & they were cracked on it also, & it far worse shape.

Is this common?

Can this be fixed without removing the cracked leafs & getting good ones?

Can I still drive it on road but not off road?

Or is it done for???

eclipse2001gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,nissan
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
your Best bet would be to get some explorer springs and put on the b2. The are alot stronger then the factory b2 springs.
They are thicker. instead of the thin b2 spring pack. I think that the b2 spring pack is 1.5 inchs and the explorer is 2 inchs.

All you have to do is flip the center bolt around on the explorer springs and it is a direct bolt on application.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yes it's common. I've replaced the leaf springs in my buddy's B2 and in my Ranger because they were broken.

Explorer leaf springs are a good choice. I got at least 5" of lift from Explorer leafs, Belltech 4200's, and 2" blocks in my B2. My Ranger got like 4" of lift from just the Explorer springs... but the old ones were REALLY shot... haha

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like that is the way to go.

What years work??

I saw in the tech pages that a 93 works, didn't know if any other years would work...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
91-2000 for sure, not sure about later models.

There are a few different types of springs that you can get too - 2 doors usually have 3-leaf packs, 4 doors have 4-leaf packs, and some have a single fiberglass spring. The 4 leaf ones are about the stiffest.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
if you don't like the explorer springs, ( i didn't because they were alot stiffer than the b2 orig pack), you can just use the explorer main leaf with the rest of the b2 pack. that will solve your problem and get ya back on the road!

jballen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks!

I'll be out at the local boneyards looking...

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I can answer with certainty that leaves from a 99 Explorer will work on an 89 B2. Length is perfect. I got mine on Craigslist for $40 including the shackles.
The shackles however, will not work. Too wide at the top.

Well, the passenger side anyway. I have been frustrated by the completely seized front spring hangar bolt.
Really wishing I had an angle grinder right about now. :annoyed::annoyed:

b2rich

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
whats an engine?
Transmission
Automatic
mine rides like a truck since i swapped. :D just means i can put alot more crap in the back now. :icon_thumby:
i think i got 3 inches of lift since my stock springs were almost inverted.

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have been defeated by the driver side bolts for tonight.
However, I have a cutoff wheel in my circular saw and as soon as I have my coffee tomorrow AM, those f-ing bolts are MINE.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
I did the explorer leaf spring swap 2x this passed year - once on my nephews 89 b2 and then again on mine. Since you and I are in the rust belt be prepared for a treat! before you get started inspect the shackle spring hangers - they may be done for if they are rotted like both of mine where. Stengle Brothers sold me a complete set of Shackles, hangers and all the grade 8 bolts for $89 including shipping.http://www.stengelbros.com/SpringShackles.htm the problem is that they were for a ranger B2 specific shackle hangers get very expensive so I just used the ranger set and had to redrill 2 new holes (ea side) to mount them correctly - I would post the before, during, after pics but I have no idea how to work this new-fangled interwebs pic link thingy

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
- I would post the before, during, after pics but I have no idea how to work this new-fangled interwebs pic link thingy
Go sign up for photobucket, upload your pics there, then at the side after you load them, get the IMG tag and paste it in the forum post box.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
89 bucks!!!!

they are discontinued at the dealership. i used f150 hangers on my project, but the offset is different so it won't work for you straight swap guys.

autozone can order the brackets too. just gotta look around and get a part number as most of them can't find there way around to the parts counter, let alone find a leaf spring hanger.

89 bucks is the cheapest i've seen tho! good job!!!!

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
89 bucks!!!!

they are discontinued at the dealership. i used f150 hangers on my project, but the offset is different so it won't work for you straight swap guys.

autozone can order the brackets too. just gotta look around and get a part number as most of them can't find there way around to the parts counter, let alone find a leaf spring hanger.

89 bucks is the cheapest i've seen tho! good job!!!!
I know, LMC wanted (If I remember correctly) $139 A PIECE for the B2 hangers alone- Check that link I stuck up there, its the whole caboodle. Maybe someone could sticky it for future Explorer leaf swaps?

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
this is what happened to my shackle hanger ...

in progress.... the problem with the new shackle hangers is that they wouldn't line up with existing holes so I had to do some fabbing...

Cleaned it up a bit

Fabbed metal pieces (Actually used from a Nordic Track LOL!-Hey hard times require thrifty actions)

Finished and ready for installing new hangers and springs...

I have to take more pics of my finished leaf swap, but as soon as I do I'll post. There are some other helpfull pics for this project having to do with the shock hangers and Part Numbers that you will run into along the way. I have to dig them out (just moved). I hope this helps get you prepped

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals