• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 2.3 ranger 88 turbo coupe 2.3 turbo swap wiring??

CTswampyankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302HO
Transmission
Manual
I’m starting a new project. I have a complete running An driving 94 2.3 ranger and 88 thunderbird turbo coupe. What is the easiest way to wire up the turbo 2.3? I plan on swaping the complete engine an t5 tranny.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Last I checked there was a wiring diagram for a '91 Ranger and '88 Turbo coupe in the tech library, compare the two and go for it... ('91 and '94 are close enough) I would keep the M5OD if the '94 is a manual truck, much less work and they're plenty up to the task...

If it were me, I'd keep the DIS, it's just a matter of mounting the crank sensor on the front of the engine and mounting at least the passenger side coil pack. If you do go this route and just run on 4 plugs, splice the outer two wires of the drivers side coil pack to the passenger side pack (make sure to trace back to be sure to splice the right wires, IE the left wire on the connector goes to the left wire of the other connector, and right to right) and the tach will even work. To get it to work take the crank sensor off the Ranger engine with bracket, take the front seal housing off and make a template for the 3 holes needed for the crank sensor, transfer to the new block and drill/tap to 6mm, use a shouldered bolt and cut the head off then loctite in place for the one stud, the front seal housing you will have to notch one hole, but otherwise will bolt up.

Use the Ranger oil pan, it'll bolt right up.

CTswampyankee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302HO
Transmission
Manual
Thanx that’s good to know. I’ll have to just compair the wiring 91-94. I’ve had bad luck with the stock ranger 5 speeds. That and my parts car has a hyd clutch t5. For now I would rather have the t5 so I could bring to the track lot easier. But if I get bored may go back to the ranger tranny with a 4x4 swap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals