• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seat track interchangeability

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
So, my leaking ranger is getting magnifically roted to the point that i dont have floor anymore, i've got one seat bolt stuck and two seat track braket that gave up. They rusted so bad that they just broke and came right off. The seat wont move along the seat rail due to rust... and all of that is only for the driver seat !!! :bawling:

how Am i suppose to take that bolt appart ? already tried tu cut a notch on the head of the bolt with a cutting grinder tried with a flat srewdriver locked with a vise grip to have more leverage and broke the bolt's head ... :sad:

So i've got to find myself some seat track for a 1990 ford ranger xlt ext. cab

The local junktyard only have 3 gen ranger laying around, i know that 82-92 ranger with a extend cab will work but being so up in the north (canadian rust) i dont believe that they will have some in a near future... there are getting really rare over here :( . Anybody know a car that would carry those exact same track ? :dunno:

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Just grab ext rails for your configuration from the yard, 83-96 i believe, drill the bolts from your seats to the rails on it, replace with grade 8 hardware. As long as the rails are from that range, and for an ext, and you pull from a 4x2 if you're 4x2, and 4wd if you're 4wd. If you can only find buckets and you're a bench, the outside most rails will work. Just bring a cordless drill and some bits, maybe someone else remembers the bolt size.

60/40 rails work on buckets and vise versa.

If you have the inclination, now is a great time to do an explorer bucket and center console conversion if you desire. I did a 60/40 cut down with console, i liked the look of retaining the center seat head rest. Same thing applies, pull the rails from the correct vehicle and type, and they're good to go.

They look nice too. Example:

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Attachments

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Also, it may be necessary to get the correct seat belt receptacles, if you're changing configs, just the plastic sleeving to retain an OEM feel. Also, if you're at the yard, pick up a shifter cup holder if you're manual. Lol!

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
the rails from a 93 and up wont fit ive already dismounted one and tried to make it fit in mine, wont work (god damn incomplete tech article)

and for the rest a dont have a clue of what your saying probably because my English isnt that good :p i just need some track/rail for my ext. cab ranger ! they are shot btw they are bucket seat

edit: 60/40 rail will work for my bucket seat good ! but why a 4x4 seat's track be needed for a 4x4 ? 4x2 seat track will interfer with the transfer case' shifter ? or what ?

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
You have to adapt both the rails from the donor seat and the floor rails. There's a hump on the 4x4 ( or so I've been told), my seats came from a 94, and the floor rails bolted right up when I drilled the holes in the floor for the centre rails. I have a 90std cab, and my donor parts were from a 94 explorer and a 93 ranger std cab

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
To be clear as possible, remove the floor rails, and the rails attached physically to the seat. Install both sets of rails from the donor seat to the seat you wish to use.

Note: you will have to drill off the seat rails, and replace the hardware with automotive grade hardware.

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Did you use them in the same position it was pulled from? I'm not sure about position interchangeability

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Did you use them in the same position it was pulled from? I'm not sure about position interchangeability

yes same position it was from a 4x4 etd. cab 1995 ranger and the rail wont fit in my 1990 ranger 4x4 etd. cab

Last edited:

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Interesting. You may want to post a wanted ad in the forums, check your local-ish Craigslist or kajiji or whatever that thing is. I'll keep an eye out at the yard next time I'm there. Where

in Canada? I got buddies in Kamloops, or Regina, who might be able to track some down.

dark_flame221

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Interesting. You may want to post a wanted ad in the forums, check your local-ish Craigslist or kajiji or whatever that thing is. I'll keep an eye out at the yard next time I'm there. Where

in Canada? I got buddies in Kamloops, or Regina, who might be able to track some down.

Québec province, alberta is on the opposite side of canada, so a bit far for me but if pals can find me some track i will pay the shipping and a fair price !

Last edited:

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
how to tell if your seat tracks will work

Look at your dash 1989--94 and some early 1995 had are old dash.If that is the case the floor is the Same.Never could understand that Ford went to all the trouble to redesign the 1994 ranger truck on the oust side why not just change the whole truck.One good thing comes from it.the heater core only takes 15 mins to change the 1995 and above trucks try 2-4 hours

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I mounted seats from a '93 2WD (I think) in my '91 2WD extended cab.

The '91 has a pretty flat floor in the seat track area, while the '93 had a hump running across the cab that the seat tracks mounted to at the front. The hump was formed sheet metal spot welded to the floor of the truck. I drilled out the spot welds, used a brick chisel and/or abused a wood chisel (hard, wide, flat!) to separate the hump from the floor on the '93, then hammered out any new bends I had put in it.

Using the newer seat tracks (actually left them on the seat!) as a guide, I tacked the hump into place on the '91's floor, and then everything from the new truck (buckets, tracks, seatbelts) just bolted right in.

The newer seat tracks seem to let the seats move further ahead (Really nice for access to the rear area!). I would say the effort to steal and remount the hump is worth it. If you get a chance, go hack and have a look at the truck you got the tracks from - just get under the carpet, and you should see a hump there that the rails mounted to at the front.

If you would rather go with the older rails, there still seem to be some gen 1s and 2s in the junkyards here (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan) and I imagine the yard (Bucks) at Regina would have one or two (it's smaller than the Saskatoon yard, and right next to the smelter, so stuff moves through there pretty quick sometimes!) I won't promise to go railhunting in the snow (too many other things going on and too much other stuff I want when I do make it out there. But let us folks out here know if you're looking, because there are potential donors in the yards here!

Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals