• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger @ 88 turbo coupe

klimtrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
want to swap 88 turbo motor in to my ranger.
ranger has coil pack/ 88turbo coupe has disrib?????

help help:icon_confused::icon_confused:

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to The Ranger Station, however we can help you better if you give us more information.

Are you partial to a distributor; or do you want to keep the coil packs?

How competent are you with electronic circuits and wires? No matter which way you do this swap, you'll have to know them well, and be able to understand wiring schematics.

klimtrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
91 ranger/99 turbo coupe

whats better the ranger has the 8 plug coil pack motor and i rev and beat the shit out of it and it just keeps runing.so i like that.

turbo coupe motor just need a up date .but if it beter to run the coil/8 plug head on the turbo coupe's bottom end kool with that to.
just want to do it one and right .with no check engine light if poss!!!!!!!

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
If you keep the eight-plug head, then you'll have to drop some money on an exhaust manifold to allow you to mount the turbocharger. You'll also have to figure out a place to put your Air Charge Temperature sensor in the intake system.

Also, if you keep the lower half of the turbo block, then you'll have either: 1. Mount a crankshaft position sensor, which requires drilling and tapping holes in a specific place. 2. Remove dummy shaft for the oil pump and replace with a distributor, complete with TFI module.

If you keep the current block that your truck came with, then you'll have to take it all apart and swap pistons and connecting rods with the turbo motor. While doing that, you would have to put new rings and bearings in place, as well. Another minor thing to do would be to drill and tap a return line for the oil off of your turbocharger.

There is a way that you can use the turbo motor cylinder head and keep your coil pack system. I'm not too familiar with it, but as long as you have a good heat sink to your DIS module, then it should work fine. You'll have to do the crankshaft position sensor thing like I mentioned earlier for this to work. You also won't need two coil packs, but don't worry; even with eight spark plugs, they didn't fire at the same time anyway. One fires on the compression stroke, and the other fires on the exhaust stroke.

How is that for explaining?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you keep the eight-plug head, then you'll have to drop some money on an exhaust manifold to allow you to mount the turbocharger...
Exhaust is the same on ALL Lima's, so manifold is the same, the intake is the side that's different but I think the stock 8 plug intake will work with the turbo injectors installed...

That said, I'm running DIS with the drivers side coil eliminated (cut the connector off, terminate the center wire and ground the outer wires), you have to drill a few holes in the front of the block with the original engine as a reference (there's a recent post with my instructions from a few years ago in it, I'll look it up in a bit) and the front cover thing needs a little modification. The other thing is you have to mount the ignition module to a heat sink that's grounded, if you go to my photobucket (should be my WWW link I think) there's some pics of what I did

klimtrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im just looking for some directon. im doing this build one time what ever makes the power.and is reliable.with no check engine light is were im at with it.im bringing a head and a block to the mech shop next week just want to know witch one and how i should wire it/////suggestions are wecome????????

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
if both heads are off, run the dual plug head, I skipped a few steps I shouldn't have the first time and now I'm rebuilding the engine (mainly for oil leaks and little stuff)

that link I mentioned is HERE. The only wiring you should have to do is convert the MAF connector from your '91 to the VAM sensor of the '88, add the knock sensor and boost controller and rearrange about 5 other wires at the computer. Use the throttle body off your '91 (with the '91 intake if you use the dual plug head), take the oil pump drive out of the '91 engine and put it where the distributor was on the turbo engine, and make sure to use the 4 wire oxygen sensor from the '91, just have a bung for it welded to the down pipe and plug the stock port in the turbo housing (less modification to the heater box needed). Most of the rest of the stuff should just plug into the turbo engine.

klimtrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
anyone else have in site on best way to build it?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
That's always going to be a good looking car... I honestly hate to see some of these get parted out so that other vehicles can be turbocharged...

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's always going to be a good looking car... I honestly hate to see some of these get parted out so that other vehicles can be turbocharged...
i know it, i was thinking the same thing.

klimtrucks

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals