• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 ranger 3.0 engine compatibility help

ranger_lover

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
so to start off hello and thank you for taking the time to read or respond to this. I am trying to narrow down what engine I can put in my 3.0 flex 99 ranger, built before 7/26. I want to know if a ranger engine of later build dates, like 00 or 01 will be compatible with no changing or modifying parts.

here is what I know already, a front wheel drive engine and a rear wheel drive have the same block but different engine parts. for example a Taurus engine will not work without replacing the pulling the heads and putting new gaskets on because the head gaskets are different, different holes to port for the coolant, and I also have read the intake is wrong. I also know that you cannot just switch from flex, or ethanol vin V engine, to a only gas engine, or vin U, without changing the lower intake, injectors, and fuel rail. also the flex fuel line has to be stainless steel.

but if anyone has this vehicle, and has had to look parts up when I say your parts description for the engine requires you to be specific on thru 7/26 or from 7/28, you know exactly what I am talking about. MY QUESTION: will an engine built after 7/28 be compatible WITHOUT MODIFICATIONS OR PARTS SWAPPING in a truck built prior to 7/26 and will the transmission still line up normally and work properly? also, if a later date engine will work without major adjustments, what other dates will work without adjusting anything, swapping gaskets, pulling injectors, etc.

thank you and I would not be asking but I have spend days looking for JUST the answer to this specific question. a lot of answers dancing around this issue but nothing found on this single question. my truck: 99 ford ranger vin v 3.0 4wd.

(and why is this blasted engine so expensive??, other than the fact it lasts forever)

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want no parts swapping at all, you're stuck with finding a Ranger/B3000 flex fuel engine from 98-00. The only difference I'm aware of in build dates would be the diameter of the valve stem, and that has no affect on swap ability.

You can make your life easier and cheaper by finding a non flex fuel engine and just replacing the fuel injectors as they are the only difference between flex and non flex engines. The rails and intakes are the same. The other fuel system components will be in your flex fuel truck already.

Even cheaper and easier to find would be Taurus units. You seem to know what's required in that swap already though, so no need to cover it again.

Superchevy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
If you want no parts swapping at all, you're stuck with finding a Ranger/B3000 flex fuel engine from 98-00. The only difference I'm aware of in build dates would be the diameter of the valve stem, and that has no affect on swap ability.

You can make your life easier and cheaper by finding a non flex fuel engine and just replacing the fuel injectors as they are the only difference between flex and non flex engines. The rails and intakes are the same. The other fuel system components will be in your flex fuel truck already.

Even cheaper and easier to find would be Taurus units. You seem to know what's required in that swap already though, so no need to cover it again.
Wonder if the 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0 Engine will change out with a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 Engine?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wonder if the 2005 Ford Taurus 3.0 Engine will change out with a 2000 Ford Ranger 3.0 Engine?
2005 Taurus had TWO 3.0l engine options
3.0l OHV Vulcan engine, the one used in Rangers
3.0l DOHC Duratec 30 engine, can't be used in Ranger

The Taurus 3.0l Vulcan engine used different head gaskets, so while the engine can be swapped to a Ranger the head gaskets do need to be changed to Ranger model gaskets or engine will get hot spots and fail over time.

Taurus coolant flowed from back to front because engine is mounted sideways
In rangers the coolant flows front to back to front
So circulation thru the heads is different between the two, head gasket holes sets that circulation

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals