• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to fit 33s on '02 4.0L V6 XLT?

grammalamma

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
4x4 Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have an '02 4x4 XLT (4.0L V6) with stock suspension/lift.
I want to put 33s on it.
There seems to be room because the XLT already has more stock wheel space than other rangers, but I am worried there will be rubbing.

What is the best way to fit them? Will I have room if I crank the T-bars and get an add-a-leaf? If not, how much lift do I need to fit them and should I get suspension lifts or body lift? Should I outset the tires?

Any comments or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I deleted your other two threads with the same question. Please post your question in the most appropriate forum. This will help prevent confusion among some of the more forgetful members....like myself.

Unfortunately I have no answer for you as the newest Ranger I own is a 93. Hopefully a member with more knowledge will answer fairly quickly, but give it a day or two before bumping the post.
Thanks,
Richard

01edge4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

01edge4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
3inch body lift, or aftermarket torsion keys, even with stock torsion bars cranked all the way you will still lack about 1.5 inches

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

01edge4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have 265/75/16s (equivalent to 32") on my 03 with a mild crank (1.5") on the torsion bars. I get a slight rub at full left lock on the plastic inner fender, so for 33's I would think you need a 3" lift to clear without rubbing (unless you are willing to trim your fenders). I wouldn't recommend cranking or torsion keys for that much lift: too much angle on the half-shaft CV joints and very little down-travel left. Either body lift or full suspension lift are probably your best options IMO

pSycHOarsOnisT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Im running 3 inch body lift with t bar crank. 33x12.50r15s with 3.75 back space. No rub at all.

01edge4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ran 3inch lift, t bar crank with stock rims with no rub at all

Sent from my SCH-R970X using Tapatalk

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
If you want to run 33"x12.5", go by the above information. If you want to run 33"x10.5", like I do, you will not have to do much. I have a 1.5" Tbar lift on the front and near stock on the rear. I run the factory Alcoa wheels that came with it. I had to bend the front mud flap brackets to get clearance at near full lock when turning. The left front plastic fender liner had to be pulled back a little bit on the inside at the rear to get full lock clearance. I disconnect the sway bar when off-road so I can get more articulation and still get no rubbing. The rear has no issues with rubbing as is..

I do some pretty extreme off-road trips with my Ranger and have no problem at all with tire clearance and they work very well. You may have to do a little more or less because Rangers vary some frpm vehicle to vehicle. Just get them on and work with it until you get clearance.

Here is a shot of my Ranger with 33"x10.5-15 tires if you are interested.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals