• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Air Conditditoner wiring help

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Can someone help me with the wiring for the air conditioner in a 1998 ranger. I installed a 1997 Explorer 302 in it, The air conditioner will not cycle and keeps freezing up. I can't find any info on Air Conditioner wiring. Everything I find is for a different year Ranger and do not work on a 1998. Thanks for any help.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea, the A/C control systems between the Ranger and the Expo are completely different.

In the Ranger, the A/C clutch relay is always powered and the PCM has 100% control of when the A/C runs. The switch on the dash simply goes to the PCM, not to the a/c components.

In the Expo, the PCM is simply a switch in series with the rest of the a/c controls to turn off the relay under WOT.

So, try this:

Remove the A/C clutch fuse

On the Ranger side of the 42 pin body harness/engine harness connector, loop pin 35 to 37 and neither connected to the Expo side of the 42 pin connector.

At the high pressure switch, cut the black/white wire and route the pressure switch side of that black/white wire to both pin 37 on the Expo side of the 42 pin connector and the "cold" side of where you removed the fuse for the a/c clutch relay. That "cold" side goes straight to the relay's pin #1.

That black/white wire was the path to ground after the high pressure switch so once cut from the switch, can't do any harm.

Pull the A/C clutch relay and using male/female push on connectors and a bit of wire to make some extensions, connect pins 1,2 and 3 on the relay directly back to the sockets those pins originate from but connect pin 4 on the relay to the socket for pin 5.

Once done, the relay will only get powered when the dash switch is set for A/C and the pressure switches and PCM allow the compressor to run.

In short, looping pin 35 to 37 directs the power from the dash switch into the pressure switch circuit and routing the black/white wire to the relay will energize the a/c clutch coil with that power.

Routing that power back to the PCM "tells" the PCM you've called for A/C so it knows to control the clutch relay under WOT.

Exploranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Win Thanks.
I got it worked out Yesterday. The problem was ,all of the fixes that people were posting were for different years of Rangers and Explorers and simply didn't work. Just as an example: my system as you just posted, dosent have a wire on pin 35, either side of the male or the female plugs, have no wires. I just put the Ranger EVTM aside and wired everything to match the Explorer's wiring. it took a couple of hours, but it all worked out.

thanks again

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals