• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ecm??

brentmc

Reaction score
I've been told I have to swap ecm's. Soooo can someone explain to me why the ecm from a V6 will not work in a V8. Here are the reasons I'm asking....

1. It looks like my v6 is a batch fire (similar to a SD system but with a maf) and not the SFI (California).

2. I've heard you can use a 5.0 ecm from a mustang on a 5.8 for the most part without isses. But, I've read from other posts that you will run the engine in a lean condition and it's possible to do damage to the engine(opinions vary). I did some rough math on cyclinder volumes vs the 4.0, 5.0, and 5.8. The 4.0 has 666cc's per cyclinder the 5.0 has 625cc's and the 5.8 has 725cc's per cyclinder. Besides won't the o2 sensor compensate for the fuel curves?

3. The pin outs on the ecm from the 5.8SD to the 4.0 batch fire maf are next to identical. The only real difference I can see is the firing order of the injectors and the extra 2 injectors. If I just add/splice my harness to the stock setup what do you think will happen?

4. I dont like following the masses. I'm planning on running a truck intake on it too. I already have a 3 inch body lift. I've been looking into cowl inducted his too.

Heck if it doesn't work. What's the worst thing that could happen? I'll just have to start over again.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There are software differences. Your V6 computer will be very very confused by the two additional cylinders and it will probably not run right. They may both be batch fire, and they may both have the same pin out, but they are not the same.

The issue is geometry. All circles have 360 degrees, and all crank tone rings (at least for Ford) have 35 teeth and one gap where a tooth should be to ID cyl 1. Say 20 degrees accounts for 1 cylinder on a V6 (Yes, I am making up numbers for this example), 20 degrees does not make one cylinder on a V8. This means as things progress, the computer's firing of the injectors will get progressively further out of time with the actual position of the engine.

The reason you can run a Mustang 5.0 computer on a 5.8 is because the Mustangs used the 5.0 HO, the dis on the HO and the 5.8 rotate opposite the dis on a regular 5.0, and the firing order of the standard 5.0 is different than the other two.

I get not just going with the crowd, but some things that everyone does, like chewing your food and wiping your ass after taking a dump are important. Running the correct PCM on an engine is like wiping your ass, you gotta do it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
+1 ^^

Crank Position(CKP) sensor(distributorless) or TFI distributor system with 8 cylinders would cause timing problem for injectors with V6 ECM.

But no start would be the worst that could happen

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, and with a swap and a no start there is a list of things to check, why add a few more :)

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I believe I've seen in this forum of people using a 4 cyl and doing a batch fire but not with the 6.
Dave

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I believe I've seen in this forum of people using a 4 cyl and doing a batch fire but not with the 6.
Dave
I could actually see that working better. At least 8 is divisible by 4, so the relationships of everything else would probably be closer. It would be more like running two engines off one computer at the same time.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Doesn't the ECM just signal ignition advance, while the TFI or EDIS module directly controls spark?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For spark, yes. However there are other things that the PCM does involving the timing of certain things, that probably won't line up neatly between a V6 and a V8 because of firing orders and cylinder arrangements being different (cylinder 4 being on different sides of the engine for example). Also, the 5.0 was TFI for a very long time, TFI systems don't usually have a crank sensor, and so the sensor signal is going to be different than what the computer is expecting.

brentmc

Reaction score
I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. So now I'm onto yanking out the rangers harness. I already had the donors harness gutted, but then when I stated looking at the pin outs. It got me to thinking which is usually a bad thing for me do lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals