• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Got a 302 now need some help

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive been reading alot and know i need headers, motor mounts, and oil filter relocator. So far all i know of is the kit from jegs, anybody know one that comes with more parts?
And i got a 5.0 from an early 90's f150 i plan on converting to fuel injection, what all do i need?
uploadfromtaptalk1430240999594.jpg

SpunkyPrep

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2" drop beams
My credo
To have no pursuit is to have no purpose.
Almost all the information you're going to need for a swap is going to be located in the tech articles on this site, the sticky notes, or at rangerpowersports.com.

I supplied the shop i choose to replace my already-swapped 86 Ranger with the links on this site, and over at RPS, so they would have all the information they'd need to pull off a proper conversion (the previous owner did some really wonky crap) with a rebuilt 351w.

The major snag ended up being the headers, of course, which took a solid 2 weeks to work out.
You have few options there.
I went with the tri-ys, and they had to be pretty heavily dented in order to clear the steering shaft on the driver's side. An option there would be to go into the custom fab side of things and get a different style gear box for the power steering, and relocate the shaft with some smaller diameter u-joints. Maybe even adding some sort of bracket w/bearings in order to pull the shaft over to the frame a bit more to help out with clearances.

The other issue we ran into was the water pump and radiator.
Either delete the mechanical fan and put an electric on there, or put the electric on there anyways and include an electric water pump. Pricy, but you save a LOT of space doing it that way.

We're having some electrical issues, and the carburator is acting funky right now, but she's up and running.

But make sure you check the tech articles. Lots of useful information there. Nothing is going to give you a proper step-by-step guide, though.

kevinbmx77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Almost all the information you're going to need for a swap is going to be located in the tech articles on this site, the sticky notes, or at rangerpowersports.com.

I supplied the shop i choose to replace my already-swapped 86 Ranger with the links on this site, and over at RPS, so they would have all the information they'd need to pull off a proper conversion (the previous owner did some really wonky crap) with a rebuilt 351w.

The major snag ended up being the headers, of course, which took a solid 2 weeks to work out.
You have few options there.
I went with the tri-ys, and they had to be pretty heavily dented in order to clear the steering shaft on the driver's side. An option there would be to go into the custom fab side of things and get a different style gear box for the power steering, and relocate the shaft with some smaller diameter u-joints. Maybe even adding some sort of bracket w/bearings in order to pull the shaft over to the frame a bit more to help out with clearances.

The other issue we ran into was the water pump and radiator.
Either delete the mechanical fan and put an electric on there, or put the electric on there anyways and include an electric water pump. Pricy, but you save a LOT of space doing it that way.

We're having some electrical issues, and the carburator is acting funky right now, but she's up and running.

But make sure you check the tech articles. Lots of useful information there. Nothing is going to give you a proper step-by-step guide, though.
The headers you used were the ones from the jegs kit? Thats what i though of when i read it. And for my radiator i was going to do a rear mount on my roll bar with dual fans, just sounds ten times easier to me, and that way i can run a huge radiator withough clearance issues

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals