• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Carb leaning bad when secondaries should kick in

l0sts0ul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys.

So I'm running my 347 fed with a quickfuel hr650 carb and it was running fine but rich. Because of the lift and duration on my camshaft, I put a 3.5 (down from 6.5) power valve in, also I forgot to mention my idle vacuum is about 7-8in. I also stepped down two steps of jets on the primaries and secondaries. (This is a mechanical secondaries carb) and if ran fine the first couple days. Then last night it started stumbling and the. I noticed when I dropped the hammer (about the throttle point when the secondaries should kick in) my afr went through the roof, over 17:1 and I lost power bad.

Ignition is all mad with mech advance dizzy, 6al box, and coil. Plugs are fairly new, gapped at 0.055, fue pressure was a steady 6-6.5 psi as required by the cab, oil pressure and temp were writhing spec.

I was also considering I got a bad tank of gas as I just filled up yesterday afternoon for a good night of cruising. Would a bad tank of gas cause a bad lean condition?

Before this happened, when I jetted down, I was running perfect between 13.5 and 15 all the time through my entire power band all the way up to 6500rpm.

Please throw some ideas my way as I'm racking my brain trying to figure this thing out.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Did it backfire bad? perhaps blew the power valve?

l0sts0ul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No backfire. But if I blew the power valve it would be extremely rich all the time admit would just flood the carb continuously I believe

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals