• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pressure question

deankelly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.O
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The answer is always NO, if you don't ask!
Hello all.

I have been tinkering with my 5.0 swap some more and a quetion came to mind.

I have transplanted a 98 Expo drivetrain into my 96 Ranger. I kept the ranger fuel pump in the tank. The Expo 5.0 uses less fuel pressure than the Ranger.

Am I causing problems with my fuel injectors when operating at a higher pressure?

The fuel system does use a return system.

Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ford fuel injected systems that used a Fuel Pressure Regulator(FPR) and return line ran 35-40psi, 1996 Ranger should have this one

Returnless systems uses 60-65psi

Computer software and injectors are different between the two

If your '98 5.0l has no FPR on the rail then you should change the fuel pump to a later model, I think they changed to Ranger returnless in '98/'99

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmm, I thought the pre-98 Ranger was the same low pressure system as the 98 Explorer. Should have made both fuel lines in the engine bay plug and play.

If the Ranger has the higher pressure system, how did you work out the need for the fuel return from the '98 5.0 FRP on the fuel rail?

If you think there is a possible issue, take a look at the fuel trims on both banks. If the pressure is higher than the system expects, you'll see quite pronounced negative fuel trims as the PCM shortens the dwell on the injectors to compensate.

One quick way to tell if the Ranger has the low pressure or high pressure fuel system. Take a look at the fuel filter: if it has 2 (one in, one out) fuel lines, it's for a low pressure system. If it has 3, (two at the back, one at the front) then it's the higher pressure system.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
96-98 explorer 5.0 uses return style fuel system with 40 psi. 96 rangers used the same style, same pressure. The ranger pump will run the 5.0 with slight mods, anything over 300 hp and you'll need to upgrade the pump...

SVT

deankelly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.O
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The answer is always NO, if you don't ask!
It all sounds good. I did check on both fuel pumps. Ranger is restricted to 51 psi, expo to 60. If I read it right..
The fuel lines did plug and play. Just sometime i get a bad smell of unburned fuel and the smell of bad gasoline.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Could it be as simple as a minor fuel leak or an Evap system leak? I'd think either of those would account for the raw/stale fuel smell faster than an over fueling set of injectors -- probably less likely to trip a CEL too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals