• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

advice & opinions?

pfister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got a 92 ranger doing a v8 swap an i found a few engines around and id like some advice.
Going to tear down and rebuild over winter. I want a manual but ive heard its better with an auto

C80E6015A
Over bored but unknown size
Cammed but unknown model
Carb'd

80'S courger 5.0 ho with auto tran
Stock
Efi w/distributor

70 302
.30 over bore
Cracked block & piston valve fell
Reman everything

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good read here on what you will need: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

"Cracked block &..........."
Pass :)

Decide if you want EFI or a carb, that will decide if you need a computer or not.
Ignition system doesn't "need" a computer but can be interfaced with a computer for better MPG and performance.

Older automatics don't need a computer, newer ones do.
There are quite a few manuals behind 5.0l engines
If you want 4x4 then the F-150 M50D-R2 and transfer case from a '97-'02 5.0l(and I think 4.6l) will fit

pfister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah checked out that page and its amazing. Still not sure on Going carb or efi though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Got a 92 ranger doing a v8 swap an i found a few engines around and id like some advice.
Going to tear down and rebuild over winter. I want a manual but ive heard its better with an auto

C80E6015A
Over bored but unknown size
Cammed but unknown model
Carb'd

80'S courger 5.0 ho with auto tran
Stock
Efi w/distributor

70 302
.30 over bore
Cracked block & piston valve fell
Reman everything

Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: whatever i can think of doing today

what type of vehicle specifically are you looking for? race truck, daily driver capable hot rod....just a project vehicle......4x4 or 2wd, maybe a lowered high performance decent handling streetfighter? or a decent 4x4 just to get thru deer camp? maybe a jack of all trades 4x4 like my truck???
these things are very important for powertrain decisions.

it appears am one of the minority opinions that will use this forum long term that use true objectivity with powertrain swaps based in reality and cost effectiveness in both time and money in light of the goals.. but i have done or assisted in a large cross section of powertrain swaps, especially with the rbv platform so i suspect that may be why my opinions split the way they do.

the 302 is definitely venerable, and easily packaged into anything. it can be exceedingly time and cost effective to use if located in the right state of tune for the right price.

modern engines of the larger 6 cyl and 8 cyl rwd types from the main truck makers.....and i mean all of them post 2000...ford, gm, dodge, toyota, and nissan.... make ridiculous power and are far more reliable and efficient then the typical carbed or eec4 t bird style efi 5.0 " ran when i parked it 302" that i usually see for 200-1200 dollars.

cost of such swaps are usually dependent on goals and skills, and i am a guy that understands using what you have already sitting on the garage floor for the most part if it runs well and has adequate power. 2 of the engines you listed are firmly not in that category.

but if a guy says he wants 350 rwhp cheap as possible for a fun daily driver, i will suggest a ls type powertrain as first choice. the ls and hemi are easier to package compared to a modern modular ford. but the ford 302 is likely the easiest to package for most.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good read here on what you will need: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/V8Conversions.shtml

"Cracked block &..........."
Pass :)

Decide if you want EFI or a carb, that will decide if you need a computer or not.
Ignition system doesn't "need" a computer but can be interfaced with a computer for better MPG and performance.

Older automatics don't need a computer, newer ones do.
There are quite a few manuals behind 5.0l engines
If you want 4x4 then the F-150 M50D-R2 and transfer case from a '97-'02 5.0l(and I think 4.6l) will fit
97-02 4.2 V6. '96 was the last year for the 5.0 and it had the shifter much farther forward than the newer generation of trucks. You will have to enlarge the bellhousing bolt holes (going from 12mm to 1/2" bolts)

The mod motors (4.6/5.4) do not share the bellhousing bolt pattern with the 5.0.

Just about any year of fullsize t-case will bolt to the fullsize trans, some are bigger than others and struggle to fit between the frame rails. It seems to be a case by case ordeal about what works for who. What works for someone may not work for everyone.

Yeah checked out that page and its amazing. Still not sure on Going carb or efi though.
If your truck is EFI now it would be easier to stay EFI in the long run.

pfister

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im going with the cougar 5.0 HO. (Only one that started) staying efi. Want a manual, thinking a t5 woth s10 tailshaft, gotta find the post again on how to. Electrically what would i need to do to make it work?

Sorry forgot to mention its a 2wd

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Are you sure it is an HO motor?

80's Cougars did have 5.0l but didn't have the HO option when ordering, Mustangs, LTDs and Lincolns did.
Not saying no one ever put an HO 5.0l in a Cougar in the '80s just not a "factory option"

'91-'93 Cougars and Thunderbirds could be ordered with HO engines

HO engines did have a more aggressive fuel and spark computer software, so you would need one from that era.
They also had the 19lbs fuel injectors.

There are A9L and A9P calibrated computers, A9L is for manual trans, A9P automatic
For example google: E9ZF 12A650 AA (A9L)
Or: F3ZF 12A650 AA (A9L)

These will be for the most part be from '80s-early '90s mustangs
Earlier computers will use MAP sensor(speed density system), later will use MAF sensor, MAF is a better system and probably easier to deal with

Probably will need the intake(most of the sensors/controls are on this) and wiring harness from the vehicle type for the computer you chose.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals