• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 jerks on freeway

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Might check the plug-in to the coil also. I cleaned mine on day and no start....until the plug-in was jiggled around,the plug-in itself was bad even though it looked fine. The idle would move up and down as the plug-in was moved around.....something easy to check.

jhammel85

When I read the title, I thought you meant guys with 2.9L acting like jerks on the highway. LOL

Then I thought "But how?"
By taking forever to hit 65 when merging...I am that guy.

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
replaced the TFI for peace of mind. I still need to pull the codes and se if there is anything else going on, but for now the truck seems to be running ok. thanks everyone for your help.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my truck is jerking the same way, im going to replace the tfi when i get some time.

and for the jerk in the 2.9 taking forever to get to 65 on the highway.....that would be me too!!!!

tbirdsps

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
When my 92 2.3 did that I was reading codes, scratching my head as there were 13 codes......

When I discovered the loose positive cable on the battery I realized that I was the cause. A few days before I cleaned the posts but forgot to tighten the cable.:icon_confused:

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
Update:

My truck reminded me to check the codes today when it died twice shortly after startup this morning. Should have been on top of this sooner, but I get lazy sometimes.

The hard codes passes on the KOEO, but the the stored codes showed 54 (ACT high).

The air inlet temperature sensor seems like a fairly simple device that would have a low chance of failure. does anyone know how common it is to have the ACT sensor fail?

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just changed TFI about 10 minutes ago, seems to have cured my problem but it only happened on occasion so ill see if it does it tomorrow.

RyanL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
My truck reminded me to check the codes today when it died twice shortly after startup this morning. Should have been on top of this sooner, but I get lazy sometimes.

The hard codes passes on the KOEO, but the the stored codes showed 54 (ACT high).

The air inlet temperature sensor seems like a fairly simple device that would have a low chance of failure. does anyone know how common it is to have the ACT sensor fail?
Break out the multimeter and test it. That's the only way to be sure because there's always the chance that the wiring or connection is shorting.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i drove my truck tonight, it still does it

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
the air temp sensor tested ok, so I cleaned it up and did a little repair work on the connector. the female side of the contacts appeard to be a bit streched out so the sensor might have been losing connection intermittently. I pryed everything back into shape with a small screw driver and apllied some dyelectric grease before plugging the sensor back in, and haven't had a problem since (roughly a week has passed).

If the problem returns I'll keep posting, but hopefully I have it fixed. and hopefully this info helps some of you that might have similar issues.

Beef52751

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is it still running alright???

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
running perfect since my last post.

fordfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I had the same thing happen twice in my '88 Ranger 2.9.
First time the fuel pump went about 6 weeks later, the second it was my alternator diodes were fried. As I understand it, it was messing with the computer by allowing AC for periods, rather than DC? Anyways, on a hunch I disconnected the ground while while idling and my truck died. Replaced it and two years later still have no troubles!
Good Luck!

dirtybird62

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you ever find the cure for the "Jerking" ? Was it the coil ? My 87 has been giving me fits doing it. I'm afraid to take it out of town lately.........thanks

Marky48170

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 liter
Transmission
Manual
Had the same problem, First the guy I bought my 1988 ranger form bypassed the inertia switch and made a bad connetion with the 2 wires. Then when that was fixed it started again, mainly when I was on the expressway. It would totaly cut out like lack of fuel, sometimes I could feather the gas pedal and it would keep it going. other times I would push in the clutch to try and restart it while moving and the starter would grind. Well I replace the electric fuel pump & sending untit and haven't had a problem since. If the fuel pump gets to hot it will cut out or if the fuel gets to low and have to work harder it could cut out also. Does your idiot lights come on when it cuts out???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals