• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duratec Swap???

FlatLandWheelin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
This may or may not be in the right section. New to the site and my search turned up little helpful information.

I've got a '96 Ranger with the 2.3L thats shot(I bought it this way). I found a you-pull-it thats got a 110k mile '01 Duratec 2.3L that runs for $125 so if I can pick that up I surely want it. "Duratec" means little to me but I figured to swapping it probably means something. So I guess my actual question is--How much is involved in swapping in a Duratec into a '96? Possible plug and play and swap computers? Or would I need the harness and all?

OR

Slightly more expensive route, I found a 2.5L also in an '01(Early '01 is what Im told?) for $200 with about the same miles. Not sure how well this one runs though. Since this is also an OHC 4-banger like the 2.3L, would this be the easier swap? What is involved?

My biggest factor leading me to want the Duratec is the power advantages and slightly lower miles. Plus it helps that I know it runs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
to swap the duratec yes you would need the harness and computer for it to run.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
well the 2.5 shares a lot of parts with your 2.3, the tranny being one of them. seems like the harness would work on the 2.5, but im not that sure about it.

the duratec has more power and gives better mileage. but its a bit more complicated on the electronics stuff. ull need the complete harness, ecu, tranny and somehow to overrun the PATS security system it has.

FlatLandWheelin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
does anyone know if the '01 2.5L harness will plug into my '96 2.3L virtually problem free?

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
i guess it would, but if i remember correctly the fuel delivery is different on the 2.5
maybe that changes the harness. i think best way to know is trying it

Johnnyonit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2002 2.3 duratec
Transmission
Manual
Lots of modifications

I did this swap with a 97 ranger, here is the problems you will face...
You'll need all of the electrical harness, computer, and its easier to switch over to the complete dash (instrument, air bags, security, etc..)
Fuel Delivery System...Tank (w/f.pump) lines, canister..
Fabricate motor mounts...relocate engine due to oil pan and difference in suspensions (I-beams) and the width of the frames....
if I had to do it over...I'd go with a ford 302, automatic.....

plknny

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Im about to do a 2001 2.3 dohc swap into a 98 with a 3.0. I know i have to do the mounts, pcm, harness, pats, obvious stuff but what about the fuel tank, dash, suspension, etc?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals