• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

driveshaft from autozone??

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, i blew my rear CV driveshaft(who would have thought?) i was going to order an ebay one, but i got a friend at autozone so i figured what the hell i can get a GKN conversion one from them... they got three different models for the automatic 4x4 86 bronco ii with three different prices... Which one do i need for a direct bold in replacement, don't want to swap yokes or nothing.

The first is a GKN conversion with a "front prop shaft" priced at 249 after core charge, its 39 3/4 inches long which doesn't sound right to me 19lbs

Second GKN conversion "front prop shaft is priced at 309 after core, and is 30 1/4 and 22lbs

Third GKN conversion is a "rear prop shaft" priced at 278 after core, 30 1/4 long and is 18lbs...

My question is what the hell is the difference in a front versus rear prop shaft? Which should i get? i can't crawl under my truck to measure the distance flange to flange cause i am out of state till sunday, but would love to have this ordered in a waiting on me when i get back. Any one bought one of these or know which is the right one, the guy at autozone didn't have a clue, he just told me to measure the distance.

Any help, or advice would be awesome, thanks in advance :headbang:

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
GKN is the CV type, spicer is the u-joint type.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Not trying to thread jack, but I have my Dshaft left over from my 87 B2, it was custom made with u joints, I can measure it if your interested, and will cost you about half the price of a new one...
SVT

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There should be another option there. Mine is 32 3/4" long. And I suggest going to the junkyard. I got my double cardan one for 10 bucks after I blew my CV one.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
junkyard, find a u joint one.. and replace the ujoints if needed..

but if its a GKN conversion, then wouldn't it be the conversion from cv style?

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
Front prop shaft is the front drive to the front axle. Rear prop shaft is to the rear axle.

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a motto for buying stuff from autozone..... "if it spins, or is important, dont buy it from autozone". i second the junkyard!

bonedoc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L, durasparked, 350 holley, headers, 2 1/2 inch exhaust
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with 4.0B2 and looked at the autozone website, no CV style shafts. So I think the GKN conversion is conversion away from the CV style.

lost86broncoii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i really don't like any thing from autozone, all the parts i've bought from there have sucked in the past, got one alternator from them... never again. I tried the junkyard not a single bronco ii. A custom driveshaft would be ideal but i am pressed for time, really need one monday morning when i get back to Syracuse from Kodiak, Alaska, lol and thats why i can't measure the shaft. So I am not sure what to do.

RangerSVT would you ship it to Syracuse NY? zip 13027, i won't have computer access again till later tonight but let me know i would be interested in it.

Yeah i think the GKN conversion is the u joints not the CV's i've had two CV's one my bronco ii's and broken two CVs... never again.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
yeah i really don't like any thing from autozone, all the parts i've bought from there have sucked in the past, got one alternator from them... never again. I tried the junkyard not a single bronco ii. A custom driveshaft would be ideal but i am pressed for time, really need one monday morning when i get back to Syracuse from Kodiak, Alaska, lol and thats why i can't measure the shaft. So I am not sure what to do.

RangerSVT would you ship it to Syracuse NY? zip 13027, i won't have computer access again till later tonight but let me know i would be interested in it.

Yeah i think the GKN conversion is the u joints not the CV's i've had two CV's one my bronco ii's and broken two CVs... never again.
First off, I'll throw a stone your way---and probably come darn close. (Fulton, NY here). The conversion drive shaft works pretty well, I did that already in my 89' BII. (The GKN was binding severely when I bought the truck) The measurements are vital in most cases to ensure you get the right one, as Ford used a few different ones. We have a local salvage yard that has a few rangers and BII's. He can be $$ at times...

Have a great day!

S-

larrybjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Parts not all from Auto Zone are basically the same parts from Napa and Carquest. Not everything but most. Starters and Altenators there are only like 3 manufacturers that rebuild them. And Auto Zone guarentees 100% labor to garages on starters and alternators. Most of their power steering pumps are Cardone Reman. AutoZone wil pay 50% of the labor to shops are those types of parts. The Duralast style brake rotors are made from the same manufacuter as the Ford rotors, and can be resurfaced and have more cooling fins than Advance and Oreileys. Its funny how some people still think that everything from Napa is made in the USA this is not the case. As far as brake pads the CMAX pad was rated the number 1 brake pad by consumer report magazine. And their batteries are made by Johnson Controls. I dont know Ive had decent luck with Auto Zone parts.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I've never had a problem with the parts compared to other retail auto parts stores... My thing with AutoZone is they move their employees around so much, mist of them around here are Hispanic and don't speak good English. Not that I'm racist by any means. And they lose warranty info or don't input it properly.... In horn lake Mississippi, I'd prefer to do business with advance auto. Great ppl. Speak English! And my warranties are always there. But the parts from any of them are about the same. Now starters I do buy from napa usually... Bc I have had a few from the zone that didn't last. But it's remans, it happens..

baddmove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got mine from autozone and it said it was going to be the CV style and when it got here..TADA! it had U-joints..yes..i was very happy!

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So holy crap. Someone who owns a B2 in Syracuse? I live about 5 minutes from Baldwinsville. If the shaft from 84 B2, which I doubt, fits, I would let you take it. Where in baldwinville if you don't mind me asking?

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
So holy crap. Someone who owns a B2 in Syracuse? I live about 5 minutes from Baldwinsville. If the shaft from 84 B2, which I doubt, fits, I would let you take it. Where in baldwinville if you don't mind me asking?
That would be 3 in the area I'm aware of. I work in Clay, NY. I think I've seen that BII on RT 31 from time to time.

S-

edit: There is also another one in Fulton where I live that has more of the "Free Range" paint job. first generation and looks pretty good.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals