• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

last year of

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
carburated 302/5.0 motor? seems like every small block i find in the boneyard is fuel injected

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Last full year for carb was 82 or 83. 84 and 85 trucks and Mustangs should be ported EFI, big cars like the Crown Vics would be CFI, which is like a carb in that is sucks balls.

Why are you so set on finding and engine that was carbed. Carb manifolds for the 302 are available all over the place. Go to ebay, you will find minimum 100 of them, same for almost any swap meet. The only things you really have to do to make an EFI engine into a carbed one are put and intake and carb on it.

JustPlaneChris

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
Actually, the 85 Mustang GT with manual was still carbureted, I had two of them. :) 85 autos throttle body injection, 86 was the first year of injected Mustang GT but it did not have MAF, it was speed-density.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Last full year for carb was 82 or 83. 84 and 85 trucks and Mustangs should be ported EFI, big cars like the Crown Vics would be CFI, which is like a carb in that is sucks balls.

Why are you so set on finding and engine that was carbed. Carb manifolds for the 302 are available all over the place. Go to ebay, you will find minimum 100 of them, same for almost any swap meet. The only things you really have to do to make an EFI engine into a carbed one are put and intake and carb on it.
There are other bits to the puzzle too... like distributors. Heck, it took me awhile to turn up a stupid throttle cable bracket. The plastic clip with the funky hair pin clip for the cruise control was also hard to find.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
i'm not set on

the carbed motor, it's just what i have and what i know a bit about.
i don't know the difference between EFI and CFI or how to recognize one when i see it.
same with distributors. i know points. i know a little about the electronic point replacement stuff. i know nothing about distributorless systems. and what is ;speed density"
guys, i am old enough to be your grandfather. if i can see it, i can fix it. i can not see whatever the chips and brains do. i still think the best carb ever was a SU (skinner union) on an austin-healy sprite or early triumph TR3 or TR4('course that meant dealing with lucas electrics which cannot be discribed in language suitable for your young ears)
the point being that i am old fashion. very old fashion. don't own a tablet or i-phone or laptop and dont know how to text

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can take any year 302. Yank the efi manifold. And slap a carb manifold on. And swap the distributor out for a hei style. The only difference is the camshaft in the newer ones. It's a roller cam vs flat tappet. But that doesn't affect a carb at all. Actually roller cam is a definite plus because you don't have to worry about zinc in the oil.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
???

a reply to a question i asked a few weeks back lead me to think the dist was prone to breakage if a dist from a roller cam was put on a flat tappet motor. is this wrong info?
and the hei dist-self contained except for the coil? or am i still missimg a box on the fender or something?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a reply to a question i asked a few weeks back lead me to think the dist was prone to breakage if a dist from a roller cam was put on a flat tappet motor. is this wrong info?
and the hei dist-self contained except for the coil? or am i still missimg a box on the fender or something?

You need to swap the gear on the distributor if using a roller cam.

Hei has the coil built on top. All it needs is a switched 12v source. Doesn't get any easier than that. And guess what? No more fiddling with points.

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
i am using a flat tappet motor. will a roller dist work in a flat tappet ? a flat tappet dist will not work in a roller motor, right?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i am using a flat tappet motor. will a roller dist work in a flat tappet ? a flat tappet dist will not work in a roller motor, right?
Nope.

Need a iron gear for a flat tappet cam, steel for roller.

Brass will work for either but are less than ideal because they wear much faster than either iron or steel.

CFI is fuel injection that kind of looks like a carb, GM ran it forever on the small blocks (like 87-94). Kind of rare(r) on a Ford, they started going to multiport fuel injection in '86. On a Ford regular EFI is pretty hard to mistake for a carb, a bunch of big tubes and hoses on a truck and a big aluminum intake kinda flopped over to one side on a car/Explorer.

Last edited:

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
stock
so how do i distinguish between iron and steel gears. i mean like both will look alike and both will stick to a magnet.
i know that flat tappet push rods are 6 7/8 inches long and roller rods are 6 1/4
but i dont want to have to pull a valve cover and rocker off every 302 in the u-pick to find the 'right' motor to then pull the dist (although it may come to that)
if i have 2 apparently identical dizzies side by side, one of each tappet type, what will identify them?

when i had British cars, i drank because they made me happy. now i have fords and i drink because they make me crazy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals