• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 explorer 5.0 cam swap ???

mrjeep44s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I purchased a 97 5.0 explorer to do a v8 swap in my 94 ranger. I want to change the cam to a b-303 or e-303. Every cam I find online stops at 1995. Is there a difference in cams from 95 to 97? Also will mustang shorty headers work for this swap? Thanks, Any help would be appreciated.

tjm73

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I purchased a 97 5.0 explorer to do a v8 swap in my 94 ranger. I want to change the cam to a b-303 or e-303. Every cam I find online stops at 1995. Is there a difference in cams from 95 to 97? Also will mustang shorty headers work for this swap? Thanks, Any help would be appreciated.
No difference on the cams. Swap away. There are better cams than those if performance is your goal. But they will work.

Likely stop at 1995 because that is when the 5.0 ended in the Mustang.

I am contemplating a similar V8 swap myself into a 93. From what I've read the Mustang shorties will not fit. What transmission are you going to run? Most people seem to run the tri-y headers it seems. Does your 97 have the GT40 or GT40P heads? That might impact your header choices. I would not run anything less than a 1-5/8" primary header on a 302.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
For headers I recommend Torque Monster but they are a unicorn status part i.e. very hard to find. OBX makes a knock off. Expo OEM works perfectly fine as well.

tjm73

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Do guys use the torque Monster headers on the I-Beam trucks as well?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I-beam I am not 100% sure on so I cannot comment on fitment. There is not much info on there page about what year range they fit either.

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have an I-beam truck but I believe these work for them. And I had torque monster headers, I don't know if they fit the 97 and older trucks but they were designed for 98+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tjm73

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Slip on collector seems like a joke to me. Sounds like an opportunity for a massive exhaust leak.

Also if you read up on these that black paint is only to protect against corrosion until the headers are sold. It will start to burn off almost immediately. What a joke. You are supposed to remove all the paint and apply true heat resistant paint or have them coated. So spend almost $500 and then spend time and/or money to strip them and have them finished properly.

Pass.

Last edited:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Last edited:

mrjeep44s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
94 ranger/97 explorer 5.0 swap

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have the motor and trans installed and working great. I had to use the explorer hvac box, evap coil and blower motor housing. I also swapped the dash, steering column, pedals and wiring harness. The last obstacle I am facing is the a/c lines. The explorer lines will not fit the 94 condenser and the explorer condenser is to large and will not fit the truck. Any thoughts would be appreciated. The e-303 cam sounds and performs great. Unfortunately, I had to use the stock explorer headers for now, and the pass. side is extremely tight. I ordered 2 sets of headers and neither came close to fitting. All in all, the swap was wasn't to bad. The trans cross member and drive shafts fit perfectly. I used a 2 core alum. radiator and was able to retain the stock fan. Next time I will use a 96 up ranger to save myself a lot of work. Thanks again to all.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals