• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

duratec mechanical fan delete

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I've read in several other random places that if you have ac on a duratec you can delete the mechanical fan and just run off the ac electric fan. However I have not seen one how to on this. Anyone have any info on it?

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm curious too. I know on the Rams, the A/C fan doesn't turn on until 225° - way after the mechanical fan should be engaged already, but they have a way to correct this via tuning so that it functions at the correct temps. Is the Ranger the same way in that we could just ditch the mechanical clutch-fan, and possibly re-tune for correct temps, or might it be even easier than that?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A custom tune should be able to set the temp that the fan comes on, and has the added benefit of adding some hp/tq/fuel economy.

The electric fan should come on anytime the AC compressor is running too, so the cheap way (not necessarily the right way) is to just turn on an HVAC function that uses the AC compressor to activate the fan and keep things cool, and skip the $400 tuner. Obviously this is a much riskier route because if you forget to turn on the ac then you risk overheating. I haven't heard of somebody overheating their duratec in a situation like this though.

Last edited:

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
I suppose I could also get one of those electric fan relay kits from auto zone for like 40 bucks

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, but the efan is controlled by the PCM. I'm not sure how it would react if it couldn't control the fan anymore because you wired in your own controller. It would probably give you a CEL which might keep you from passing an emissions test if you have them. It probably wouldn't trigger the fan to come on when the AC functions are being used, which may or may not be a bad thing, depending on your opinion and goals.

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Did this a few years ago and had to scrape info, hopefully this helps.
-The fan threads on with reverse threads
-Its on there good and unless brawny pays you for your likeness youll need a helping hand
-None of the cheap autozone/pepboys fan wrench keys fit the dtec, i bought one for a 2.9/4.0 ranger/aerostar etc and hit it with a grinder to make it fit
-The truck will be fine when moving and wont overheat in traffic with the ac on, or other hvac settings that engage the ac pump which luckily on a ranger is almost all of them.
-If you sit for more then 5 minutes on a warm day, and you forget to turn the fan on through the hvac, you will see your temps climb quickly and by 10 minutes your going to have to shut it down and let it cool
- After the iac stops hanging the throttle between shifts your revs will drop quicker, gains in mpg or hp? i never bothered but i wouldnt want to put the mech fan back on.

craveman85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008, 1981
Make / Model
ford, AMC
Engine Size
2.3l, 2.5
Transmission
Manual
-Its on there good and unless brawny pays you for your likeness youll need a helping hand.
I should do just fine then. I'll probably use a pipe wrench.

cpubuilder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I did this a year or two after I got my Ranger.... A couple good tugs and it broke loose. It works fine driving around ... if stuck in the drive through for too long I turn on the ac or the heat... or just shut it down. I have had only one incident when I was yakking to a buddy and left my truck running without the ac on and it crawled nearly all the way up... but it was fine.... BFT

poorboycustoms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i just did this two weeks ago... just remove the plastic fan from the clutch assembly and wirs your eletric fan to a switch in the cab to turn it on when you want.. run neg to battery from fan run pos to switch in cab then from switch to battery.. done works great.. ohh yeah pull out your ac condenser in front of the rad and pull out your thermostat ...motor runs nice and cold..

Charlie Cheap

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011, 2016, 196
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, Sun
Engine Size
2.3, 1.6, 2.3, 200
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Be nice, you may need help later!
Question, isn't the fan a clutch-fan? If so, how much is gained by doing the fan delete? I just took a 1600 mile trip in my 2011 2.3 automatic and got 25.5 mpg. This truck is not going to haul/pull much no matter what we do so a possible engine-killer mod seems too risky. I ran 70 to 80 in the NASCAR lane with the Big Boys and still got good mpg. This Ranger is new to me since I got it used with 70K on the clock just a few weeks ago. Is the fan really a power robber? I am an ASE mechanic and spent 40 years building Street Rods so little engines are not my thing...but the 2.3 is good enough I am putting one in a 1967 Sunbeam Alpine (look it up), the wife's 07 Fusion has one and now my 2011 Ranger.

MarzGraphixDesign

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I just did this, but I added a pusher fan and tapped it into the wires of the stock fan blue is hot obviously since the other is black. I then cut the stock mounts fabbed up two L brackets to move the rad back. Then those little rubber pieces that are pushed on the sides of the front opening on the rad support well, I took some sheet aluminum and made air directors then bolted them to those rubber pieces with fender washers. I'll get some Pic's up came out good, works great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals