• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Building an 8.8

94gexplorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
a couple different places make diff covers you didnt mention that

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was gonna say a nice Diff cover. The riddler ones look freakin awesome IMO and I'm doubting you'll break it. Have the tubes welded into the diff. I know a few guys that have spun the tubes with only 33"s.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I have the ruff stuff diff cover, forgot to mention it.. Recessed bolts and fill n drain plugs. Freaking heavy thing!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Did your cover come with the drain drilled on the top of the cover...instead of the bottom? Mine did. I was like WTF. I emailed Dan and never heard back. Ruff Stuff has been alright in the past but I feel let down this time... took like 2-3 weeks to get my order too. :annoyed:

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
you have a locker, diff cover, gears and disc brakes.....i think that covers all the cool stuff for the 8.8........broncograveyard.com does have some heavy duty axle shafts, IDK how much stronger they are than stock tho

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Well if I was replacing axle shafts I'm buying the superior 88 kit. But with only planning on 33s (in the near future) I don't think I need them lol. Yeah I think I got everything covered. Cept the locker bc it's backordered. Gonna be a few weeks. I'm gonna go ahead and lay all my brake lines out and try to figure that out. Using the link above itahouldnt be to hard

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
oh and what about a c-lip elim kit?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
It's on the list I think. I gotta look at it more. That's one thing Ive never done to an axle.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
it's on my list, easier to put it in now with the axle out, i'm just tryin to find a good/inexpensive one

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
You probably have the explorer disc brakes? Thats a nice setup, I have one sitting in my garage I just regeared to 4.56. Keep an eye on your brakelines: I was going to run a stainless flex hose with a t at the end to the top of the pumpkin, two steel hard lines out towards each backing plate, and a stainless flex hose going to each caliper. You have to have the flex hose to the caliper because they float on slide pins.

As far the the build-up goes, The aussie your getting is a "lunchbox" type that replaces your side gears, correct? If so, there is no reason you can't go ahead and set-up your gears, you would have your shafts (and therefore your aussie) out at that time anyway.

Watch for the cross shaft hitting the ring gear when you remove it. On my 4.56, it did, I ground a tooth for clearance. I'm not sure if your 4.10 will. Yukon's install guide has the torque, backlash, and preload specs for you.

As far as cool stuff, I've had my eye on a diff cover by Ruffstuff Specialties. Super beefy 3/8" cover, 1/2" mounting flange. Ruffstuff is a vendor here, and they offer a 10% discount to TRS users. You can get upgraded rotors and pads I'm sure. C-clip eliminators. Yada yada yada

edit: I need to read the whole thread before I post , huh?

Last edited:

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know nothing about them other than something about a spring lol. I'm gonna donthe research and look at it when I'm not in my college class lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If you guys are thinking about doing c-clip eliminators and stuff with an 8.8, just make it easier on yourself and do a 9" swap instead. Much better aftermarket, easy disc brake conversion, and no c-clips right from the factory.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I don't think c clip eliminators will be needed for me. But like I said, I know nothing about them honestly so...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
You probably have the explorer disc brakes? Thats a nice setup, I have one sitting in my garage I just regeared to 4.56. Keep an eye on your brakelines: I was going to run a stainless flex hose with a t at the end to the top of the pumpkin, two steel hard lines out towards each backing plate, and a stainless flex hose going to each caliper. You have to have the flex hose to the caliper because they float on slide pins. okay i'll look at it, and yeah its a 97 ex brakes, its gonna be awesome. and my plan is to eventually regear to 4.56, i just wonder what the 4.0, a4ld, 4.56's and 30's for now, will get gas milage wise. and then later on at 33's what will my economy be, i gotta be able to afford to drive it daily

As far the the build-up goes, The aussie your getting is a "lunchbox" type that replaces your side gears, correct? If so, there is no reason you can't go ahead and set-up your gears, you would have your shafts (and therefore your aussie) out at that time anyway.this is because i hate laying under that truck in my driveway to do it. i'd rather just build it and on the table and mount it up finished.

Watch for the cross shaft hitting the ring gear when you remove it. On my 4.56, it did, I ground a tooth for clearance. I'm not sure if your 4.10 will. Yukon's install guide has the torque, backlash, and preload specs for you.
4.10's shouldn't becasue they are factory gears
As far as cool stuff, I've had my eye on a diff cover by Ruffstuff Specialties. Super beefy 3/8" cover, 1/2" mounting flange. Ruffstuff is a vendor here, and they offer a 10% discount to TRS users. i got my ruffstuff thru a jeeper here local that was building an 8.8 for his tj, but then sold his tj and 8.8, not the cover, and got a rig on d60's!!! You can get upgraded rotors and pads I'm sure. C-clip eliminators. Yada yada yada

edit: I need to read the whole thread before I post , huh?
yeah, reading it all does help lol. i do that sometimes... its all good tho. a second opinion aint bad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals