• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer 5.0L Swap

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
So I'm wanting to do that engine swap into my Ranger, and as I have read throughout the article I still have some questions.

First off, its going in my 2007 2WD Sport, so is that even viable? Or will it only work with the 4x4?

Secondly will it bolt up to my transmission? Or will I need an adapter plate or just swap it entirely? I think the 07 Sport uses the 5R55E.

What problems can I run into swapping into such a newer model? I know I will need that 96-97 model explorer.

Finally if it's possible to do such, what performance parts can I get to beef up the 5.0L a bit? Nothing crazy but some preventative parts/performance.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I'm wanting to do that engine swap into my Ranger, and as I have read throughout the article I still have some questions.

First off, its going in my 2007 2WD Sport, so is that even viable? Or will it only work with the 4x4?

Secondly will it bolt up to my transmission? Or will I need an adapter plate or just swap it entirely? I think the 07 Sport uses the 5R55E.

What problems can I run into swapping into such a newer model? I know I will need that 96-97 model explorer.

Finally if it's possible to do such, what performance parts can I get to beef up the 5.0L a bit? Nothing crazy but some preventative parts/performance.
- Swapping to a 2wd is no problem, you just need the proper motor mounts and conversion plates (use 4.0l motor mounts, and RicksRangerz Plates available on ebay)
- None of the available Ranger transmissions fit the 5.0l, you must use a 302 transmission of some type, there were 2wd 5.0l explorers but they are rare, but I've heard you can ditch the transfercase off the awd explorer trans and put the 2wd rear housing on it (there may be some f150 trans parts that interchange the other guys here would know alot more about the automatics). If you wanted manual you would use an M5OD-R2.
- You want to use a 98-00 returnless explorer not a 96-97.
- I believe there is some additional wiring changes in the 04+ Rangers, and something to do with the cluster as well, from other threads I've seen in the past.
- Performance-wise sky is the limit, I assume you only want bolt-ons, which your basic stuff is the obvious intake, exhaust, throttle body, maf, and a tune of some variant. A different cam really wakes the motor up and they are very cheap to buy, assuming you are comfortable installing it.
- Preventative maintance for the old motor would be your basic waterpump, thermostat, timing chain, 2x idler pulleys, tensioner, intake and valve cover gaskets, heater/waterpump/radiator/vacuum hoses, pcv valve. If it were me I recommend front and rear main seals and an oilpan gasket while the motor is out of the truck so you don't have to deal with them in the truck for many more years.

Last edited:

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
- Swapping to a 2wd is no problem, you just need the proper motor mounts and conversion plates (use 4.0l motor mounts, and RicksRangerz Plates available on ebay)
- None of the available Ranger transmissions fit the 5.0l, you must use a 302 transmission of some type, there were 2wd 5.0l explorers but they are rare, but I've heard you can ditch the transfercase off the awd explorer trans and put the 2wd rear housing on it (there may be some f150 trans parts that interchange the other guys here would know alot more about the automatics). If you wanted manual you would use an M5OD-R2.
- You want to use a 98-00 returnless explorer not a 96-97.
- I believe there is some additional wiring changes in the 04+ Rangers, and something to do with the cluster as well, from other threads I've seen in the past.
- Performance-wise sky is the limit, I assume you only want bolt-ons, which your basic stuff is the obvious intake, exhaust, throttle body, maf, and a tune of some variant. A different cam really wakes the motor up and they are very cheap to buy, assuming you are comfortable installing it.
- Preventative maintance for the old motor would be your basic waterpump, thermostat, timing chain, 2x idler pulleys, tensioner, intake and valve cover gaskets, heater/waterpump/radiator/vacuum hoses, pcv valve. If it were me I recommend front and rear main seals and an oilpan gasket while the motor is out of the truck so you don't have to deal with them in the truck for many more years.
Currently I have a 4.0L in my truck right now so I can just use those motor mounts?
And what do you mean by returnless?
I do really want to put a manual transmission in my truck, I don't know how much of a fiasco it would be to go from auto to manual.
My ideal thing would be to find an explorer with okay miles that was totaled from the rear but I don't know if that would be easy to find.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Currently I have a 4.0L in my truck right now so I can just use those motor mounts?
I do really want to put a manual transmission in my truck, I don't know how much of a fiasco it would be to go from auto to manual.
My ideal thing would be to find an explorer with okay miles that was totaled from the rear but I don't know if that would be easy to find.
Yes you can use your mounts, and here are the plates. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranger-V8-302-swap-motor-mounts-plates-Newly-designed-Thicker-98-12-/152046882412

Manual swaps on a Ranger are super easy, all you need is:
- clutch pedal
- clutch master cylinder/reservoir
- clutch fluid line
- interior shift boot/plate
- 4.0 manual driveshaft

These few parts are plentiful in any junkyard, car-part.com, or ebay since they made a zillion manual Rangers.

You need all 5.0 parts for the transmission portion so you wouldn't be saving any money on these if you already had a manual ranger. Flywheel, PP, Disc, Slave, and Starter, you need all those for the M5OD-R2.

Manual swapping a ranger is a bolt-in affair, the chassis and firewall are built to be either and auto or manual so all the provisions for the pedal, master, and shifter are there.

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

By returnless I mean the fuel system. They use a different line configuration, evap setup, and fuel pressure regulators. Save yourself some hassle and just get a 98-00. Also the newer motors should have the stamped oil pan that clears the 2wd crossmeber instead of cast pan that doesn't, and the cast headers that are a bit better than the terrible tube ones Ford put on the earlier ones.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
By returnless I mean the fuel system. They use a different line configuration, evap setup, and fuel pressure regulators. Save yourself some hassle and just get a 98-00. Also the newer motors should have the stamped oil pan that clears the 2wd crossmeber instead of cast pan that doesn't, and the cast headers that are a bit better than the terrible tube ones Ford put on the earlier ones.
Nice, well I'll start looking into gathering parts.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have the Sport model so you should have the torsion bar front suspension. That means you don't need special mounting plates, just use the stock Explorer 5.0 mounts. Major problem is going to get some of the dash to function correctly, in 2004 Ranger went to a digital dash, spedo and such. Hoosier (something) did a 2005 and ran into that problem. Was suggested to change to an earlier dash. Good luck. Mechanically the same as other 1999-2000 swaps.
Dave

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
You have the Sport model so you should have the torsion bar front suspension. That means you don't need special mounting plates, just use the stock Explorer 5.0 mounts. Major problem is going to get some of the dash to function correctly, in 2004 Ranger went to a digital dash, spedo and such. Hoosier (something) did a 2005 and ran into that problem. Was suggested to change to an earlier dash. Good luck. Mechanically the same as other 1999-2000 swaps.
Dave
Ah, I didn't realize the the later Sport models had 2wd Edge frames. The 98-00 Sport versions were Sprung SLA frames.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Dave
I was going to put in one of those race pack displays or such.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals