• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Towing manual ranger with a dolly

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
I am picking up a 94 ranger std cab, 5 speed, 4x4 and as a last resort, i am towing it with a dolly. Its about 70 miles with 99% of the trip being on the freeway. Will i be safe to tow it on the front with out disconnecting the rear driveshaft? my fathers mechanic said i should be fine with it being under 100 miles, but i dont want to blow up the trans.

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah that's fine to leave in neutral. It's autos that you need to disconnect the shaft.

Sent from my iPhone.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Maybe, but really it's only 4 bolts. 12 point - 12mm socket. And yes it HAS to be a 12 point socket. A little blast from a propane torch on the flange wouldn't hurt things, as long as the flame isn't blowing towards the pinion seal that is.

If it's slow and not very far you can try to put the back wheels on the dolly, as long as the steering column still locks good.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If it has a manual transfer case just put the T-case in neutral and go. If it has an e-shift case put the trans in neutral and keep it to 65 or slower and you should be ok Taking the rear shaft out is still preferred unless you have a manual transfer case or a neutral tow relay setup installed.

RangerNielsen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.SLOW V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks everybody. I got my dad to get a trailer (i paid so he didnt have a choice) and got it home in one piece... but now my 88 is giving my problems so the 94 is on the back burner...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals