• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Spare used for Trailer Spare?

joecool85

Reaction score
I have thought about getting a trailer with 225/75/15 tires. If I did, could I use my 235/75/15 truck spare for the trailer as a spare? This way I wouldn't need to buy a spare for the trailer (they never freakin' come with one). I'm not worried about bolt pattern, because most trailers I look at use the same 5 on 4.5 that we use on our trucks. There would only be a 0.6" difference in diameter so I would think it should be fine, but wanted to ask the experts :icon_cheers:

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Well, trailer axles come in all kinds of bolt patterns, so it would be wise to make sure it fits before setting out counting on that it will.

2nd thing to address, you need to make sure the back spacing is correct. Not for bearing reasons, but for clearance reasons. Trailers generally have their tires much more closely spaced to the frame, a 1/2" too much backspacing and you'll be up against the frame and not even close to the back of the axle flange. My trailer has less than 1" between the tire sidewall and the trailer frame.

3rd-ly, make sure the center hole is the correct diameter. Again, axles came with different types of centering hubs.

My jeep rim spare for my truck (the 14" original spare's center hole was too small for the 31 spline 8.8) fits on my Ranger perfectly, but it's too deep for the trailer and hits the frame and still has about an inch to go until it hits the flange.

For what it's worth, I run a set of 235/75R15 XL load rated LT tires on my 18" dual axle trailer, the exact same size on my Ranger. I got the tires from the junkyard for $20 a piece and mounted them with my manual tire changer (about $50-$75, and pay for themselves quick!), balanced them with higher end 20 gram airsoft BB's.

That's pretty cheap for a tire. Some people have issues with running non-trailer tires on a trailer, but I have noticed no ill effects. If anything, you'll have better grip in wet/snowy conditions and better stopping distance. It might be a good idea to grab a spare from a junkyard with measurements in hand of what fits your trailer (just be sure to tell them it's for your RANGER). And if it is indeed the same pattern as your ranger, them you'll have 2 spares that you can use and interchange.

Better to have it and not need it rather than need it and be screwed.

I have a little doughnut spare that I keep with my tow dolly.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Another thing to watch with swapping tires is to make sure the the load rating isn't exceeded. I lost 3 of 4 285/85r16 passenger rated tires on my trailer and they were all next to new.... I replaced them with trailer rated tires.

Richard

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Another thing to watch with swapping tires is to make sure the the load rating isn't exceeded. I lost 3 of 4 285/85r16 passenger rated tires on my trailer and they were all next to new.... I replaced them with trailer rated tires.

Richard
This.

My tires mentioned above are rated at about 2200 lbs each, 8,800 lbs total.

The axles are 3500 lb axles - 1,800 lbs past the capacity of the axles.

The ball is actually only 2" and a 6,000 lb ball receiver on the tongue - 2,800 lbs past the hitch capacity.

I do believe this should be sufficient. :icon_thumby: But this is an emergency spare he's talking about, so there is some leeway.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

joecool85

Reaction score
All valid points guys. The thing is the trailer I am most interested in is a Carry-On 4x7 utility trailer. It has 12" wheels on a 2k axle with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. I don't know if a 225 or 235/75/15 will fit yet, but it's easy to check. What I plan on doing is trying my 235/75/15 on to check for fitment. If I can get that to fit (I know I would need to at least move the fender), then I will purchase 225/75/15 trailer wheel/tire set and use my spare as it's spare. If it doesn't fit then I will probably go with 3 new 13" wheel/tire combo as it is the same price for 3 of those as 2 of the 15". But the 15" would be way better looking as well as lower rolling resistance and better through the mud/trails where I get my firewood.

So back to my main question, would it be ok to use a 235/75/15 as a spare on a single axle trailer that runs 225/75/15 tires?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've used different sized tire on the same trailer axle with no issues. It's not like it's a locked axle.

Richard

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So back to my main question, would it be ok to use a 235/75/15 as a spare on a single axle trailer that runs 225/75/15 tires?
Should be fine. Especially on a trailer that light. For long term highway use I'd still try to keep them the same size though - just because.

joecool85

Reaction score
Should be fine. Especially on a trailer that light. For long term highway use I'd still try to keep them the same size though - just because.
Awesome. That's no problem, like I said this would just be for a spare. Honestly I may still go with the 3 x 13"s just because they should fit easier, but if I buy the trailer I will try my truck spare on just to see :icon_hornsup:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Before I sold my share of the 16ft dovetail car transporter to a friend who was moving out of state (it was either I sell my share to him or him selling his share to me and I lacked the funds) I had modified the fenders so I could run 235/75-15's on all four wheels...

It originally came with 225/75-14's on white wagon wheels, I swapped on a set of Bronco2 Five spoke 15x6" rims...

I'm currently building a Trailer that will also take the same wheels and tires as my truck.

However because I'm mechanically paranoid (I firmly believe that any machinery I own
is colluding with the perverse universe to screw me over at any opportunity) I will carry a spare for the trailer AND a spare for my truck.

Hell I own a tow dolly And I won't drive farther than around the block without a spare for it as well as for my truck.

Anything you take your eyes off of can be expected to break immediatly

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals