• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

91 ranger hit hole in road now runs HORRIBLE if it starts....!!!

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
First off would like to start and say thanks for all the help with my previous thread a few months back. I got the problem worked out, turns out it was a "weak" fuel pump. Anyhow while driving today to get a part for A DIFFERENT vehicle, which is broken down, I hit a hug hole, open manhole cover, a cow or something in the road; It was a hole but just wanted to describe the well kept county rounds we have here in NC. I hit the hole right before I took a left to get onto the highway onramp and the truck jumped back and forth violently (obviously). After taking my left the truck started to jerk back and forth and trying to die. My first thought my was the connectors for my fuel pump had come loose, since I have dealt with so many fuel pump problems it was my first thought. It then dies completely on the side of the road and I turn the key over and the fuel pump is cutting on. I have:

-Fuel at the fuel filter, before and after
-Fuel at the rail, gas shoots out when I press in the valve up top

After letting it sit for a second while I checked all this, the truck started back up again. It BOGS down HEAVY under wide open throttle and you have to feather it to even get it to rev a little. SOMETIMES it will allow you to feather it to say 3-4 grand and you can hold it there and seems to run fine, but it you WOT it bog back down and hover at 1k RPM. letting off it will do its little chug chug chug then slowly die. Try to crank it right after it starts for a split second then dies again and the starter does that long high pitch whine noise. Letting it sit for a minute or 2 it will start again but same things happen. Rinse and repeat.....

Haven't check for spark yet but I assume its getting spark since it will fire sometimes and idle for a little bit before dying again. So...

-I'm getting fuel at the rail
-Seem to be getting spark

Could I have jumped timing hitting the hole? maybe a loose ground? I ripped the computer out from the passenger side floorboard and checked all the connections and "lightly" tapped it a few times. Still nothing.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated guys, love the site!!!

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Forgot....
145k miles
4x2

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now I just started the truck up (cold) and it runs just fine...didn't drive it though... I didn't want it to die once it warmed up or something and have to use 2 AAA tows in one day. Just not sometime I ever wanna check off the bucket list...having to be towed twice in a day

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Replaced ICM and still nothing... noticed dist. getting hot on the backside.....

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have you check the fuel pressure? I had a similar problem, it ended up being the short 2"hose split between the new pump and level sender assembly. It would only push 20 psi instead of the forty it should get.

Richard

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
To me it kinda sounds like MAF.....like maybe your air cleaner came loose or the tube cracked. That's what happened on my explorer.
I hit a good bump and it started running shitty. Unplugged the MAF and it ran ok. Turns out the tube cracked right before the throttle body so it was getting unmetered air and leaning out. Ran horrible until I got a new air intake tube.

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Also, yes definitely chec your ground straps..possible one came loose or even snapped.

Killtime8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My ranger is a 90 2.9 it doesn't have a maf, I think its speed density. It has map sensors. Josh where would the ground straps be? I've check the cables coming off of the negative from the battery cable and they just run into the main harness along the ps fender and go up into the firewall into the cab into the computer. I REALLY don't want to kick another dent into it lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals