• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Ranger Sub/Amp/Insulation Questions

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before driving out to my duty station I did a new headunit and some new 6x9's in my truck. Being able to hook my iPod up is lovely and the new 6x9's are a ton better than my old ones (mainly being that both of them work instead of one) but now I'm wanting a sub and also to quiet down the inside of my truck a bit.

I have some roofing insulation on my headliner at the moment, and it made such a big difference I went out and bought another roll of it to possibly do the rest of the doors/back panels/floor/etc. It is just the simple 1/8th or 1/4 inch thick foil on both sides bubble wrap. For the $23 I paid, can't get Dynamat for anything close. I've read up on the threads here on the forum but there wasn't really a clear winner for something inexpensive. I did read a little about the quick-roofing insulation that sticks by itself on one side? But it makes the truck smell like tar.

Basically, will the foil bubble wrap insulation work well under the carpet / under trim pieces / on door panels? Or should I return it next time I'm in town and invest in something else? I'm not expecting dynamat extreme results, just not the plethora of wind noise I'm getting right now.

As far as subs/amps, I'm looking at a Kicker DX1000.1 amp from a local shop for the warranty and service and I want 2x 10" Kicker CVR dual 4 ohm. I went on sonicelectronix and they have both the 07 (silver) and 10 (black) model years. I found only two threads on the net detailing the differences and there wasn't really any information found. Does anyone have experience with both? I can get 2 of the 07's for $140, or I'd have to buy each one of the 10's for $130 each... Looking at building my own enclosures to fit in the area where the jump seats are going to come out (91 excab).

I'm just looking for a little bit more info than what I have found elsewhere on the net and maybe a little firsthand experience with any of the above! Please don't hesitate to comment on any little thing mentioned above, this is my first stereo install. I'll be building the boxes and wiring with some help but I need to get the parts pinned down first.

Thanks!

cappin90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998, 1993
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 460
Transmission
Automatic
i would think of getting 12's instead of 10's with that amp especially if they have the 07's for a good price but if your dead set on the 10's im pretty sure the black cone ones handle more power, could be wrong tho.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's what I thought too about the 10's being able to take more but on the website it says they are both 400 watts RMS. Even if I went up to 12's, it is the same power handling just a 2 or 3 hertz lower on the bottom end. I figure with 400 RMS x2, a 1000 amp will do fine as long as I don't turn it up way too loud. But I doubt that will happen; its a really small truck I would get annoyed with them being that loud quickly.

I'll look into the 12's but again, still no difference as far as I can tell.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals