• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Time for a 2.8 rebuild

Fords4Us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Greetings everyone, it's been awhile. It was almost exactly three years ago when I started the Duraspark conversion on our '83 Ranger, and that project was successful thanks to the advice and encouragement I got from this forum.

The old truck has been running reasonably well since then, but lately she's been showing more signs of her age (don't we all!) We've concluded that it's probably time for an engine rebuild, at least in terms of gaskets, valve seals, etc. We may also replace the carburator, since we've been working with the original Motorcraft 2150 this whole time. We're hoping to get started on this project within a few weeks. We've been looking for tech manuals for the Cologne engine and coming up empty. Are there any shop manuals or books out there which we could use as reference materials during our rebuild? Along those same lines, are there any detailed references for a 2.8L rebuild either on TRS or other websites that we could reference? I looked around the site awhile and didn't really find anything. I was hoping for something roughly as detailed as the Duraspark conversion information I relied on for that project.

Finally, I'd also be curious to hear any words of wisdom, suggestions for additional repairs/upgrades to make "while the top is off", or anything else from folks who have "been there done that." I'm not looking to make race-type changes to the performance, but I do wish I had more muscle in the low to medium RPM range for things like getting up hills while fully loaded. I'd hate to finish the project only to have regrets about steps not taken, work not done, or opportunities missed to make related improvements.

Thanks in advance all. Maybe after this is all done and the old truck has a renewed engine, I'll finally post some pictures. I'll probably need to give her a bath first!

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, ‘Fords.

Sorry that I don’t have any of the info you asked for, but I wanted to give your thread a bump and wish you the best of luck on your project. I had a 2wd 1983 Ranger with the 2.8 and the 4 spd with OD - one of the best trucks I’ve ever owned.

Bought her for 600 bucks, probably put another 600 in for oil changes, rear tires, shocks, and helper springs, etc over the years so that I could haul around half cords of oak firewood for a living. After four years of working her, I sold her for the $600 that I originally paid. A 6 bill investment in a truck that put food on my table and served as a daily driver is a darn good investment in my book. Hope yours is good to you!

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've rebuilt two 2.8s; one was really an overhaul - expanded pistons, ridge ream, heads re-done and no other machine shop work. Had to do a new cam and all bearings and of course rings. A good established machine shop can check your parts once you disassemble the engine. If I recall, the plate that holds the cam in can be easily reversed and the plate that holds the oil filter needed a special gasket - can't be sure as it's been a few years.

The engines are pretty much indestructible with minimum care and no abuse.
The problem is the parts are getting harder to find and are expensive compared to a 302.

The shop manual should be available somewhere and has all the specs you need.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

When i redid my 2.8 in a 78 pinto here is a book i read

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mz68tz286fg7m6/How-to-build-and-modify-Ford-V6-engines.PDF/file

it is the v6 book from my cloud.

what i did was got the cam ground here

www.coltcams.com

go to the domestic ford profiles and take a look what is there for 2.8. the shop will want your original cam and they regrind it. with you telling him what you want the engine to do.

i did the floating springs on the spring deletes for the rockers, and also did the drilling of the back water passages on the heads to allow more water flow. light polish of heads. true dual exhaust. new timing gears, bearings, and gaskets. pistons were in good shape as was the hone.

little car goes like a greased pig with a slap in the ass.... sounds mean for a tiny V6 also.

cheers

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
After considering the expense both in time and money, I opted for a remanufactured long block. The guys who built it race these engines, and for $1500 I got a completely upgraded motor that’s ready to drop in. Got it from teamblitz.com in Columbus, OH. Went and picked it up last week.....

Everlearn

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here’s what he sells:

REMANUFACTURED 2800cc V6 Cologne Motor!
  • 2.8L Six Cylinder Long Block built to tough Ford OE specifications.
  • Carefully assembled and machined to ensure long service life.
  • Complete Rotating Assembly, internally balanced, timed, and ready for dressing. Bored, honed, line-bored, decked, milled, and multi-angle valve job.
  • All new KS Pistons, Rockers, Push Rods, Camshaft, Lifters, Valves, Springs, Metal Timing Gear Set, & Bearings.
  • Latest OE Spec Ford Germany 171cid motor, with Big Journal Cam, HD Webbed Block, Filleted Crankshaft.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals