• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1985 Learner- No start

Garretn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Hi all,

I got myself fairly recently a 1985 V6 2.8l manual transmission ranger. Before now, I had next to zero experience doing work on my own vehicle. Heck, I didn't even know how to drive stick and I got this truck anyway. I figured it would be a great opportunity to learn about what goes on under the hood and how to maintain my vehicle properly.

I've done what to me seems like a good amount of work to it- and got it running much better than when I first got it. One thing that has been bothering me is that it is losing oil from an elusive leak source. I took it in to have a professional pair of eyes have a look. They cleaned the leaked oil off of the engine and added a dye to the good oil and told me to drive it around a bit and come back later.

Here is where I am having a problem that maybe I can find some help on from here. I drove it off their parking lot and noticed it was driving very rough and had very little power. I made it about halfway home before it died and I couldn't get it going again. The guy at the shop said it was probably some electrical connection that got wet and didn't like it, and suggested that I just let it dry out. I had a buddy pull me the rest of the way home. Now it has been about 36 hours and it still won't start back up.

I would like a second opinion on the matter. What do you guys think I should do?

Thank you in advance-

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Pull the distributor cap off and see if it has water in it, also the wires at the cap and plug and look for moisture. These are areas that can get wet from spraying the engine but don't dry out on their own.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

If you are learning then there is a simple test to do

50/50 test, used if starter motor works but engine doesn't start

Spray gasoline or starting fluid(ether) into the engine
Try to start engine

If it starts and dies then Fuel is your problem, lack of it
If it doesn't start then Spark is the problem
50/50

Lack of fuel can be failed fuel pump or clogged fuel filter..............or bad gas gauge and you ran out of gas, :)

Lack of spark can be failed TFI module or coil

Last edited:

Garretn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the advice! I pulled the distributer cap this morning and sure enough there was water. I'll blow it out and let it sit for the day. It's not that warm out, but it's supposed to be sunny all day so hopefully that'll help.

I'm fairly certain the engine is getting fuel, so I don't think it's that.

Last edited:

Garretn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
V6 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Here's an update-

I replaced the distributer cap and rotor (they were past their useful life, I should have replaced them with the sparkplugs and wires), and blew everything out and got it nice and dry, it's been over two days in the sun. But it STILL wouldn't start. So I tried the starter fluid and, low and behold, it started right up and died.

There is gas in the tank, and the fuel filter is one week old. So now I'm thinking in addition to getting the distributer cap wet, they knocked the old fuel pump out of its misery, or an old dry hose split open. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Im not to versed in the 2.8 trucks.....

But, id pull the fuel line off the carb, crank it, and see if spurts a good steady stream of fuel. If it does then you can rule out everything but the carburator.

It should come out about like a standard drinking fountain.

Im gonna guess you got a float or needle hanging up in the carb. I believe on them feedback style carbs the needle is actually an electric plunger, controlled by the CPU. If thats stuck closed it will kill all fuel to the motor.

But, i could be wrong, i know the 2150 carb pretty good, but not the feedback ones :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals