• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pitman arm/manual gearbox swap

JustAToken

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I saw a few different threads talking about the Saginaw 525 pitman arm being compatible for swapping to a manual steering box from a power steering system. My question is what steering box is that compatible with? This might be a silly question but I have never really messed with a steering system. I am attempting to convert my 1992 2wd Ranger from power steering to a manual steering system and have been looking at boxes like this one:
https://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/5511-05002323.html?utm_content=DN&utm_term=1983-2002+Ford+Ranger+Steering+Gear+A1+Cardone+27-5007+83-02+Ford+Steering+Gear+1992+1993&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIroTMm4es2QIVj-DICh0F7wCIEAQYASABEgIIa_D_BwE&ad=47362750812
but I do not know if my power steering pitman arm will work or, if it does not, where to get one that will. I would really rather get all the information that I need in order to make the setup work before I spring for the steering box. Thanks for reading and offering any advice!

deathbypsi

06/2012 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3turbo
Transmission
Manual
I am sitting on a perfect manual box and correct pitman arm if your looking. It was a NOS Ford box I bought when I built my 88 drag truck. I paid big money for it and only put maybe 5k miles on the truck.

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i have a rebuilt steering box from rock auto and custom pitman arm i can find the manufacture if you want. I only used it about 1500 miles as i swapped back to power doing my engine swap.

Z

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The Ranger manual steering box had the same sector shaft splines as the Saginaw 525/505 and the manual Jeep XJ/MJ box. The power steering gear boxes have a larger splined sector shaft. One thing to watch out for when looking at steering boxes is that the Ranger box is a reverse rotation box, where turning the input shaft clockwise will turn the output shaft counter-clockwise. This is to facilitate the forward facing pitman arm. Most GM and Jeep boxes have the pitman arm pointed towards the rear of the vehicle, which requires the output shaft to rotate the opposite of the Ranger box. The Ranger box also has a different bolt pattern, but that's easily fixed by putting new holes in the frame. The input shaft splines are different as well; 3/4 30 spline.

Manual vs power

From top to bottom
Skyjacker extreme drop power steering arm
Jeep XJ manual steering arm
Ranger 4x4 manual steering arm

Manual vs power Ranger box

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals