• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Beefier suspension

ashtonstrish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone put beefier leaf springs and axle under a ranger I have a 1994 ranger 4.0 xlt 4x4 5spd don’t worry about Engine I might swap a diesel into it I wanna put a utility body and think I’ll need heavier duty axle and springs I think it has a 8.8 limited slip. Thanks

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Not too difficult to do...

run down to your local spring shop and inquire about replacement leaf(s), you don't necessarily need a new main, just the support leaves. They can punch the center hole in the blanks, install new deeper straps, do the re-arcing & assemble to whatever load & ride height you need and you could do the install into your truck if you have the tools to do so, otherwise allow them do the entire job.

I added an extra support leaf years ago to increase the load of the truck, but in my case I did the entire job, I had access to the needed 100 ton press to re-arc all the leaves to get the ride height I also was looking for to lower the back end.

Not everyone would be so lucky to be in this position.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Agree with most. I'm into too much of a bottle to make good sense so will try to remember to come back to this thread tomorrow.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Find a 4 door explorer in a junk yard, grab the axle and leaf springs (up to '01, before they switched to independent suspension in the rear) this gets you a 31 spline 8.8" axle (look up the door codes for gear ratios to look for) with disc brakes (if you go for a '96 or newer) and a heavier set of leaf springs, these leaf springs are usually good for 1.5-2" of lift in a Ranger and the axle is fairly simple to swap in with installing new spring perches to the top of the axle and adding shock mounts, then reworking the parking brake cable some.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals