• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i beam swap

Dav

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none but it is a convertible
Tire Size
stock
front end on the 88 2wd squats. nothing visibly wrong and it rides fairly good. springs seem to be at 10 1/2 inches which is the right height according to oreilly's parts specs. will tired shocks make it squat? you can only notice it when looking at the front of the truck from 20 feet away
since i have a 96 that is headed for the scrapyard, i figured i would cannibalize the i beams to do a brake upgrade while sorting out the cause of the squat. i am just starting the disassembly process on the 96
sway bar came off rather easy. can't believe ford used plastic links to hold it together. one link is split lengthwise. minor problem
the nut holding the shock to the radius arm doesn't want to move. think if i try any harder, i will break the bolt. it is welded on the back. is there a replacement kit for these? i know there are kits for rear shock bolts.
can the beam/spring/radius arm be removed as an assembly? and installed that way?
lastly, which radius arms do i want to use? both napa and oreilly's list no radius arm for the 88 but do carry them for the 96 so i guess they are different

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
You probably just don't like the way it looks, you already answered your question, when you measured the spring height. I've never seen a picture of Ranger or bronco squatting it would be interesting to see!
There's lots of information on the tech pages also
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/dana_28_35.shtml

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals