• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1995 RWD has stiff steering after balljoint job

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Finally got around to swapping the ball joints on my 1995 RWD Ranger.

After installation the knuckles are stiff and I have a lot of steering memory.

The ball joints are Mevotech's from rock auto. I did grease them (and the 4 tie rod/pitman arm joints) after tightening everything.

On each side, I tightened the lower joint first, then hammered in the camber bushing. After that is when I tightened the pinch bolt.

So far, after 10 miles of curvy driving, it maybe loosened up a bit but still nothing.

Do my joints still need time to break in? Or did I screw something up?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Did you get it aligned? The way those front ends are, even if the wheel is straight, you should still at least have the alignment checked after ball joint replacement.

ratdude747

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/70R15
Did you get it aligned? The way those front ends are, even if the wheel is straight, you should still at least have the alignment checked after ball joint replacement.
No I did not. I did notice some less than ideal tire wear on the right front tire indicating too much positive camber but I also found a loose spot on the right lower ball joint.

----

Clarification: I do have return to center for the most part, it's only going straight down the road or at the exit of turns that the steering isn't self-centering (or tending to some direction at least).

Also, I did note that the knuckles were right after tighening the ball joints (lower 1st, upper 2nd) as I had to tap them into the right orientation to allow the tie rod to line up. I thought that with the upper joint being a smooth pinch bolt setup it wasn't possible to bind it up if the lower was tightened first??? Maybe I should loosen the pinch bolts, tap it a few times with a hammer, and retighten to releave tension?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals