• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

exhaust question 88400"s

madmax401

Reaction score
i just put my passenger side 88400 on and it looks pretty close to the firewall ,about 4 inches away from. will that be enough room to get the collectors bolted up and complete the rest of the system. my drivers side was hitting the fuel filter cover plate, i removed the fuel filter as i think i can relocate the filter somewhere else in the system. what do i do with the steering rod ? i got a free steering rod from a 95 aerostar (not sure if that was the right 1 to get). all this is on my 88 supercab 4x4 3''body lift that was setup for 2.9 and is now a 357 windsor c6. any body have pix of their 88400's on a windsor ?:icon_confused:
http://s282.photobucket.com/albums/kk257/madmax401/?start=40

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You're probably the first to use 88400's on a Windsor. A good exhaust man can deal with that clearance.

madmax401

Reaction score
somebody on here said that they used 88400's and i cant remember it was for a 5.0 or 5.8. that post no longer exists......well, since the ranger station changed everything around on us . i wish i would have printed everything ,just in case data is lost in the future.

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
That was me. My truck is a 2wd 302 though.

Things are pretty tight but exhaust shops should know what they're doing.

madmax401

Reaction score
Thanx for throwing that out there...... i was going nutz trying to find your thread. how close did the collector get to the fuel filter ? did you relocate the filter? also did you have to trim any part of the collector on the pass side, it seemed to me that there was a lot of angle and i was concerned that it might leak .

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx for throwing that out there...... i was going nutz trying to find your thread. how close did the collector get to the fuel filter ? did you relocate the filter? also did you have to trim any part of the collector on the pass side, it seemed to me that there was a lot of angle and i was concerned that it might leak .
The driver's side fit like a glove and I didn't move the fuel filter at all.

As for the passenger side, I did bend back the firewall seam in the area of the collector just like is necessary in the tranny tunnel. All in all I definitely don't have any more than a couple inches clearance to the frame rail or floorpan but that didn't stop the exhaust shop from putting pipes on.

Your best bet is to get your truck to an exhaust shop of your choice and if they say they can do it then fine. They should provide some kind of guarantee for their work. A nut on my driver's side collector worked its way loose and fell off causing a very loud leak but my exhaust shop fixed it for free.

Last edited:

madmax401

Reaction score
my driverside header have some crappy welds on them. did yours ? i looked inside the collector where the 4 tubes merge and can see daylight. i bought mine 6 months ago and just pulled them out of the box,exhaustsuperstore.com i think has a 48 hour defect return policy. maybe it'll be simpler to just pay a welder to go over everything than to try to return them. probably work out the same with return shipping and everything . do you have a specific part number for your vert mounts? i dont think im happy with the plates thate i cut. where did your vert mounts locate your motor? anywhere that didnt require you to relocate your trans crossmember. my truck project is slow going right now between the weather/work/ and the BS goin on here at the house,i cant seem to finnish my truck . too many interuptions and distractions.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
You don't need a part number for the mounts. Just go to the local parts house and ask for 85-93 Mustang GT Convertable (not the coupe) mounts. Depending on your transmission, you still may have to move the transmission X member, regardless of mounts.

madmax401

Reaction score
gotcha, im just gonna move my trans crossmember forward an inch an a half . thanx for your help

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
Remember to put your mounts on opposite the way they're supposed to on the Mustang. ie: put what is identified as the driver's side mount on the passenger side and vise-versa.

madmax401

Reaction score
convertible sits lower than the coupe , right ? if i did the coupe mounts ......would i just have to raise my hood.....scoop. i just have minimal clearance betweent the pan and the pivot bracket. was planning the SAS , but it's more important to me to just get this money pit safely on the road as my DD before the weather gets crappier. i dont see my SAS happening any time real soon.:tease:

You don't need a part number for the mounts. Just go to the local parts house and ask for 85-93 Mustang GT Convertable (not the coupe) mounts. Depending on your transmission, you still may have to move the transmission X member, regardless of mounts.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
They're the same height, the convertable mounts have the two pieces interlocked. If you really want lower mounts, try late 80's Crown Vic's. If I recall, the 88 Vic I got the first swap motor out of had shorter mounts than the Stang units I used.

madmax401

Reaction score
i actually want higher mounts for right now so i can get the oil pan away from the pivot bracket. i guess i'll work it out . thanx for all the help guys.

madmax401

Reaction score
the oil pan clearance is no longer a problem. i 86'd the ttb brackets to make room for a coil sprung d44. so now i can let the motor down a little more.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals