• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Speedo after v8 conversion

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I put 98 explorer 5.0 engine n trans in 2001 Ranger using adapter with Ranger transfer case had pats removed from pcm starts nruns I have the Dakota Digital speedo interface which wire's do I. Hook it up to for speedo and do I need it to send a signal to any thing else

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I assume SGI-5E, there are different models

Use 8,000PPM AC OUT to speedo and computer(for shifting), also cruise if so equipped

Ford uses 8,000 pulse per minute sine wave(AC)
OC is a square wave

You should hook up BOTH IN wires, but only need the one OUT wire, it can be split to the 2 or 3 end users

You still may need to fine tune for true speed, base on tire size

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What wires should I use for input

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rear axle VSS
Splice into both VSS wires, they still need to stay hooked up to for ABS to work.
Red +
Green -
You are using that signal and the SGI 5E to show true speed, same conversion the GEM module would have done in a 1998

Last edited:

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Can I splice into green n red wires at abs unit,then output to grey/black wire at 42 pin connector going to pcm?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes and not sure about pin 42 on explorer Computer, don't have diagram for that

Grey/black wire, Ford used this color for many years with "corrected" true speed signal, at speedo, computer and cruise

So yes on 1998 explorer computer that could be it

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Will try tonight, thanks a bunch

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the Explorer's with 4 wheel ABS the 4WABS module did the speed correction, it had the Grey/black wire coming out going to speedo, computer and cruise, and I think Rangers with 4WABS could do that as well, didn't use GEM for that.
But harder to reprogram these after tire size change

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Don't want to take over this thread but I didn't buy the sgi-5e because I didn't think anyone would be able to help me with it if I had questions. But, if I have a 97 explorer rear end would it work running the vss wires straight from the rear axle into the cab straight into the sgi-5e and then straight out to the speedo? (I did away with abs, cruise, and auto trans so nothing else needs the signal but the speedo)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't want to take over this thread but I didn't buy the sgi-5e because I didn't think anyone would be able to help me with it if I had questions. But, if I have a 97 explorer rear end would it work running the vss wires straight from the rear axle into the cab straight into the sgi-5e and then straight out to the speedo? (I did away with abs, cruise, and auto trans so nothing else needs the signal but the speedo)

Yes, that would work

Ford VSS are VR(variable reluctance) sensors NOT Hall effect.
VR sensors generate their own "power" so don't need ABS module connected for any signal or power reasons.

SGI-5E is needed to change rear axle VSS pulses to the 8,000ppm the Ford speedometers are calibrated for.
The 8,000ppm standard came from Transmission/transfer case gear drive speedometer systems.
And it is much easier to change PPM signal to match speedo than to change speedo, in EVERY Ford vehicle, every time you change VSS location :)

You can also add VSS to drive shaft, have seen a few DIY tone wheels and VSS mounts at transfercase/trans drive line connection
Picture here: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachments/general-4x4-discussion/337447d1195629972-homemade-tone-ring-tone-ring.jpg
And here: http://s87.photobucket.com/user/glp86/media/P9060600.jpg.html

So you are not locked in to using any specific trans or rear axle to have a VSS signal

Last edited:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well that's good to hear! It's not important right now as I'm not far enough along for it to matter but I was gonna try and swap a GEM module from a 98-00 ranger into my 03 to eliminate the trans giving the speed signal so I don't have to worry about which years I get my T-5's from (just easier if I get speed signal from rear axle and the GEM made the pulse changes) and this seems a lot less of a headache than swapping in a different GEM.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
SGI-5E or similar interfaces(its not the only one that does this) would be better than trying to retro fit a GEM.

Not all GEMs had speedo interface and all that did were programmed for stock tire size for the vehicle they came from, so would need to be programmed if tire diameter was different.
Most 1998-2000 GEMs had it, in 2001 and up the Computer did the speed correction, and trans/transfer case had OSS and tone wheel, rear axle VSS was just for ABS only again.

OSS(output shaft speed) is the same type of signal as VSS, some transmissions(automatics) also got other RPM sensors(intermediate shaft speed), and VSS was still used for ABS so Ford renamed the "speed" sensor to OSS

Last edited:

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea my T-5 is the newer v6 model with the OSS instead of the gear drive. I could make it work off of that but the rear axle will prolly never be swapped. The T5 will eventually give and I'd rather be able to throw whatever model I find at the time that's cheapest. So this helps a lot. And yea my daily driver has the GEM that corrects the speed signal so I have the right part number but like you said, I don't want to try to retro fit one that doesn't belong.

Hicks60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I am thinking that I also need to hook up sensor ground pink/orange wire to pcm after I spliced into abs shifter interlock doesn't work, can't shift from park even when I unhooked Dakota digital

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals