• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 ranger 2.0 to 5.0

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
so my ranger i picked up for 200 bucks is a 2.0 5 speed, manual brakes and manual steering. i'm thinking of putting a 90's 302 and a m5od 5 speed from a f150 into it this summer just for some fun. my questions are, what would be needed for the clutch system, motor mounts, headers, driveshaft, alternator, radiator and any wiring?

i would change the engine from efi to carb and get rid of its emission stuff and swap in a 8.8 if the 7.5 does not survive.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good place to find answers is here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml

The V8 forum also has lots of information--just have to dig for it. Basically the F150 clutch will work just fine with the M5ODR2--finding the correct clutch master cylinder from a 1994? explorer helps a lot. I see no advantage in using a carb setup. The EFI is reliable and more tolerant of other changes like cams and heads if you mod it to use MAF.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I see no advantage in using a carb setup. The EFI is reliable and more tolerant of other changes like cams and heads if you mod it to use MAF.
Generally I agree with this, however in the case of the OP it would be easier to go carb because that's what he already has. The 2.0 Rangers were always carbed, so that is how his truck is already set up.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And he would have to reinvent the wheel on the EFI intake because a F-150 intake will not fit under the hood.

I have a 1403 Edelbrock 4BBL on mine. It runs great, I love it. I did have to tune it down some for my HO though.

The M5OD from a 97-98 F-150 with a 4.2 V6 fits better than the earlier ones, the shifter is a similar location compared to a factory Ranger trans and has a output for a speedometer.

I would use the V6 mounts with plates. I have the Mustang mounts in mine and am not overly thrilled with how they sit.

The Explorer front accessories are the most compact Ford put out and are very nice performing.

We have a sticky on headers you might want to check out, I would probably go with tri-y headers. The ones I used will not work without a body lift.

If you don't want A/C either get a swap radiator or size the biggest generic one that fits up inside the radiator support.

Last edited:

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
It all seems pretty simple besides the clutch, headers and motor mounts. I did read on here some where about using v6 motor mounts with the explorer block mounts. And as far as the accessory drive all I would have is a alternator.

Would a 4.0 ranger radiator be good enough for a stock 302?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 4.0 Explorer radiator in mine and it works so far. It is the HD two row for the 4dr automatic with A/C Explorers.

If you can get it up into the radiator support you gain a lot of room for fans, which even with the Explorer belt system you are going to be fairly tight on.

I have the Ex radiator sitting on the stock mounts because I intend to put A/C in the truck and only have room for a low profile flex fan. Driving around it does fine but if it sits very long the pusher efan kicks on.

So I gotta redo my fan situation because the pusher occupies the same space the condenser will. :bawling:

Goldmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
The good thing about mine if i was to swap it im not going to have air conditioning. So i wont have to worry about all of that. And id like to use a oem radiator if possible to make finding parts easier. Also id want to make the total cost of everything as cheap as i can since the whole truck was only 200 dollars.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

The M5OD from a 97-98 F-150 with a 4.2 V6 fits better than the earlier ones, the shifter is a similar location compared to a factory Ranger trans and has a output for a speedometer.
We have a sticky on headers you might want to check out, I would probably go with tri-y headers.
How's the fit with tri-y's and the 164T bell housing? Always heard interference problems.
Dave

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How's the fit with tri-y's and the 164T bell housing? Always heard interference problems.
Dave
I have heard it isn't too bad to make them fit, never done it.

I have pics of a set I had relative to a 164t separator plate in the header sticky.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals