• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 swap hp question

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys just so you know I'm pretty new to building engines and I've been doing a lot of research lately on what parts for my 302 build and I guess I don't have a good feel for what parts create the biggest increase in hp from stock, what I am afraid I'm going to do is build an engine that creates to much hp (shooting for 350-400 range) for the block or more relevant the transmition (I plan on getting a M5OD-r2 from a junk yard), then I have spent all this money and I cant even use it. or is it that you really have to try and squeeze that power out of it. Also thinking of running a stroker 3.25 stroke

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what you are doing.

If you are going to race or offroad (with traction, not mud) you will probably have problems with the M5OD. Guys don't like them in modified fullsizes for durablity with a 302 or 351.

If you are going to keep it under tired for a mobile smoke machine or a cruiser you would probably be fine. Otherwise you might need to shop elsewhere.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Heads make the biggest difference in a sbf. The factory ones just don't flow well. Not very hard to get 400 horse without touching the bottom end.

The m5r2 is rated somewhere around 320-350 ft lbs from the factory. I've abused mine behind 400 horse and it has been fine. But I don't shift without letting off the gas. That is just plain crazy for any transmission.

What cubes are you looking to end up with?

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Depends on what you are doing.

If you are going to race or offroad (with traction, not mud) you will probably have problems with the M5OD. Guys don't like them in modified fullsizes for durablity with a 302 or 351.

If you are going to keep it under tired for a mobile smoke machine or a cruiser you would probably be fine. Otherwise you might need to shop elsewhere.
This will be mainly a daily driver with the occasional dry off-road not for drag racing, and then what trans is decent for that kind of HP not really looking to shell out for a tremec and would like to keep 4x4 there is the zf but would need at least 3 inches of lift for that to fit, this has been the biggest problem in my planning is finding a suitable trans. Also not a smoke machine just some decent tires that fill out the look

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
Heads make the biggest difference in a sbf. The factory ones just don't flow well. Not very hard to get 400 horse without touching the bottom end.

The m5r2 is rated somewhere around 320-350 ft lbs from the factory. I've abused mine behind 400 horse and it has been fine. But I don't shift without letting off the gas. That is just plain crazy for any transmission.

What cubes are you looking to end up with?
I want to keep the stock crank if I can for financial reasons and depending on if it needs to be bored or not so 302-306 if I go with stroker which sounds like I won't need to and stick with some good heads then 325-331 again depending on the bore. Do you have a head recommendation for good low to medium range torque.
Thx

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd sure look into the AFR 165's, gain 90 hp over stock. Find a good cam for the torque range you want. Even the stock Explorer cam has worked good for some when used with 1.7 ratio rockers.
Dave

myers94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Manual
I got the engine from a 91 bronco, got flat tappets so probably switch over to rollers, I was going to stick with 1.6 rockers. I noticed that when I look the afr 165 up there is a 20 degrees along with it, isn't this the angle at which the air comes through the head and if so is does the manifold have to match both flow and degrees?

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If budget was decent. Here's how I'd build it

Afr 185 heads.
Lunati voodoo 268 cam
Edelbrock air gap intake
1.6 roller rockers
Holley 600 carb

That will net you around 380 horse and make for a very torquey street setup

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The limiting factor for transmissions is all about Torque... Not Horsepower.

But as a matter of record ford has only put the Mazda M5OD-R2 behind the 4.9 and 5.0 engines... the 5.8 engine is invariably paired with The ZF, M5HD trans...

but the ZF is a bulky transmission for a Ranger chassis, and the shifter location is a problem...

AD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals