• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Swap shop recommendations?

Fastrax04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys-

Can any of you refer me to a shop that is competent enough to perform the 5.0 Swap? I have a 99 3.0l 2wd with coil spring suspension. Its a bit too involved for me to tackle. Thanks in advance for any help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Any custom shop will do that for you
You just need to make some phone calls, most will want to provide all the parts, you just drop off the Ranger
i.e. if they have to warranty it they will want to provide it, and make money on it, lol.

But I would just look for V8 Ford Rangers for sale, they are out there, and even adding one-way air fare it will be cheaper than paying someone else to do the swap.
Find something you like and sell the '99 3.0l

Here is one at our site: http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159994

Also if you are after power and torque, look for 4BT Ford Rangers, thats the diesel swap, pricey but a big WOW for power

Last edited:

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
No offence, but your post needs a bit more information... biggest one is what city you are living in? if you are near me on CL there are 3 nice v8 conversions for sale... one i was seriously tempted to look at....

and to second ron, sometimes buying one done is way cheaper unless your pockets are very deep from a shop... they will hit those unforseen problems... no swap is easy.

cheers and welcome.

Fastrax04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Some more info.

I am not a fan of buying someone elses project. I've been there and its costed me $$$, time and countless headaches. I'd rather start my own which allows me to build it my way with known history.

I am located in Palm Springs (Southern California) but have a family member who is an auto transorter so shipping the car is not an issue.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well So. California certainly will have many shops that can do the work so you won't have to go far.

And because of the smog restrictions buying an already converted vehicle from another state would present a problem.
i.e. same year or newer engine has to be used in a swap
Also needs a Certification to even be tested for smog compliance.
Not sure if Title is changed to Salvaged or ?? since VIN no longer matches Engine Size?

But I am sure there are members here who have used shops in So. Cal. and can either recommend or reject them, lol.

I would still look at already done Ranger V8s in So. Cal. area, already certified and licensed, some may have been done by a local shop, so worth a call to find out which shop or just to have a look at the work

Last edited:

Fastrax04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You'd think in SoCal you'd see some for sale. There are exactly 2 in all of Socal posted on Craigslist. I did email those sellers to ask which shop performed the swap but neither responded. I've called a few offroad shops but none were willing nor could they offer guidance as to whom could.

I'm not worried about California BAR. The plan is to ship the truck off to O'ahu to use as a DD when I'm on island for work. Hawai'i doesn't have smog laws like California.

Passing BAR isn't an issue. Motor needs to be same year or newer than the chassis, have all smog equipment installed, no CELs, and any aftermarket parts like the Torque Monster Headers must have a CARB EO. You must also have a receipt from whomever sold you the motor. Once you pass paperwork and visual they run it on a sniffer. If it passes you're good to go. Its not all that difficult.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It would be more up the alley for Performance shops, you can buy V8 4x4s, just not Rangers.
V8 2WD Ranger would be strictly for performance

ick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've done that swap on my personal vehicle. I also own a shop in Mesa AZ. you're looking at about 8-10k for labor which includes removing engine/trans from donor. Naturally price goes up if you need differential swapped too and custom cooling shroud efans ect. shop rate is $100 an hour and delivery takes 4-6 weeks as long as no delays in parts you supply. I can get parts too just let me know what direction you want to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've done that swap on my personal vehicle. I also own a shop in Mesa AZ. you're looking at about 8-10k for labor which includes removing engine/trans from donor. Naturally price goes up if you need differential swapped too and custom cooling shroud efans ect. shop rate is $100 an hour and delivery takes 4-6 weeks as long as no delays in parts you supply. I can get parts too just let me know what direction you want to go.
It sounds bad but isn't too far out of line. I took me a month of evenings and weekends to do my swap. Two hours a night (and I know many I worked more than that) comes to $6k @ $100/hr... and then I have weekends in it too. It is going to add up fast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals