• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone seen the story of the Nevada Rancher Cliven Bundy vs the Fed Govt?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i happen to agree with the rancher because this is supposed to be a government by the people for the people. which in my opinion means that the land is owned by the people and not the government. as far i'm concerned he has every right to graze his cattle on that land, and the government is not only violating his rights they are wasting alot of resources for something so petty... just my 2 cents

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
People who try to trespass on my property are warned by signs I have posted. You know what property belongs to you and what belongs to others. He was trespassing and he was wrong. If he had asked for permission I think that would have been fine and dandy. Do you want somebody to come along and dig up the backyard of your home or the side of your home and say they have the right of way do so???

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, Public Land use is now monitored by the BLM.
The US never had "grazing rights" when it came to public lands which lead to "range wars" in the past and over grazing.
In 1934 public land use rules/laws for grazing was enacted(Taylor Grazing Act) and in 1946 the BLM was formed and given control of licensing permits for private parties to use Public Lands.
Since there was no previous public land "laws" before 1934 there is no "grandfather clause" to allow unlimited use of Public Lands.

Again these are Public Lands, not privately owned, and grazing rights can be applied for and granted if there are no conflicts.

I think it is about $1.50/month per animal for Grazing Rights on BLM land, it varies by State and demand

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
of coarse i was referring to public lands . also there is the fact that his family has been using the land for over 100 years..

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Interesting.

The govn't says he owes 1.1 million in unpaid grazing fees.

It makes me wonder what people are thinking, because they know sooner or later they're going to have to answer to it. Does this guy think his cattle should be allowed to graze because his family was there before the Taylor grazing Act? When people get this far in trouble, it makes me think that they truly believe they're in the right.

I found a Fox News video stating what this guys issue is:

http://video.foxnews.com/v/3458913371001/standoff-between-ranchers-and-the-feds-intensifies-in-nevada/#sp=show-clips

The guy has an issue with the feds owning over 80% of Nevada, and he doesn't want to pay grazing fees to the Federal Government. He is willing to pay the state of Nevada grazing fees.

There are armed militia groups there showing support.

This could get interesting :popcorn:

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
States rights? Individual rights? Property rights? Mineral rights? What's dat...in third world Omerica we and our rights don't exist. The big push everywhere West of the Big Muddy is owning/getting water rights...the most important and limited natural resource. The food supply is already contained, regulated and distributed in the manner the Fed and business wants, next is water. Welcome to third world Omerica, the future is here.
And if you cite the Constitution, don't count on it...some yeehaws in Worshington are already rewriting it, and history. Yep, I'm a pissy mood today.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I found this pretty interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nX1PDFc9Ug

The video claims Senator Harry Reid is behind the Bundy Ranch conflict in Nevada. Something to do with a China based company wanting to build a solar farm in the area.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So we the tax payers are now into this fiacso for $966,000 in fees to contractors, plus the law enforcement officials, fuel, equipment costs, etc (sure to equal more than $134,000 the way the Feds count money) over unpaid fees totaling $1.1M.

Also, this land is protected and the fees enacted over a freaking turtle? How much damage do they think cows eating grass will do to a turtle? And what was the status of the land before this?

Additionally, aren't there other, better, cheaper methods of getting these fees from him? Doesn't the IRS have the ability to put a lean on his earnings? Freeze his assets? Isn't that what they do to people who owe a few hundred dollars in back taxes?

I don't care who is wrong or right on the grazing issue. As far as proper and responsible use of tax payer funds, the government is way off the reservation here.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
If the fees were due to the IRS, they would have just put him in jail and been done.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I understand the fees aren't IRS imposed. My point is wouldn't it just be much simpler and easier to freeze his assets until he pays up? Rather than sending armed troops against a citizen who isn't hurting anyone.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Well, the armed troops are to 'seize' his cattle.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I understand the fees aren't IRS imposed. My point is wouldn't it just be much simpler and easier to freeze his assets until he pays up? Rather than sending armed troops against a citizen who isn't hurting anyone.
This attitude is real disturbing to me because this has nothing to do with with cattle, a turtle or grass but has everything to do with control. Simpler and easier for who the theif or the victum. The people in the end will allways be the victum. That fee for grazing rights to the BLM is supposed to be used to manage the land not line polititions pockets.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Grazing rights, late/owed fees, etc., turtle poo needing protection ain't the point...the point is making an example of anyone who stands up to the Fed.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, the armed troops are to 'seize' his cattle.
An action that would not be "required" should other means of collecting the money allegedly owed been used first.

This attitude is real disturbing to me because this has nothing to do with with cattle, a turtle or grass but has everything to do with control. Simpler and easier for who the theif or the victum. The people in the end will allways be the victum. That fee for grazing rights to the BLM is supposed to be used to manage the land not line polititions pockets.
The point I am trying to make has little to do with what you say disturbs you about my post.

My point is that the government has spent more than was owed in an attempt to collect said owed money when other avenues were likely available. My point here is the irresponsible use of tax money.

I'm not taking sides on the cattle issue because I don't think we have been given all the relevant information. I do think the government is in the wrong, in the extreme, but probably not for the same reasons that some of you do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals