• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The south west is going dry

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
So southern California & Las Vegas is having a drought. It's only February. The dry summer months are coming.

Folsom lake is drying up and revealing a town that was once deeply covered by the water.

Lake Mead (where Las Vegas gets its water) has dropped 100 feet during a 13 year drought, but officials predict that it will drop 25 feet in the next year alone.

Lake Mead currently stands about 1,106 feet above sea level, and is expected to drop 20 feet in 2014. A continued decline would introduce a new set of problems: At 1,075 feet, rationing begins; at 1,050 feet, a more drastic rationing regime kicks in, and the uppermost water intake for Las Vegas shuts down. At 1,025 feet, rationing grows more draconian; at 1,000 feet, a second Las Vegas intake runs dry.

“If Lake Mead goes below elevation 1,000” — 1,000 feet above sea level — “we lose any capacity to pump water to serve the municipal needs of seven in 10 people in the state of Nevada,” said John Entsminger, the senior deputy general manager of the Southern Nevada Water Authority.

Upstream from Lake Mead is Lake Powell. There, a 100-foot drop would shut down generators that supply enough electricity to power 350,000 homes.

This is troubling. People say they need rain. They need a whole lot more than rain.

This brings me to a point. Why doesn't So Cal get water from the ocean?

yes, I know it's salt water, but the US navy does it every day

This is how you make fresh water from sea water...you distill it. You bring in sea water (by pump) into a big kettle looking thing. You put fire (heat) to it and bring to a boil and the steam that rises from it is condensed and stored in potable water tanks that is then treated with chlorine and fluoride (just like your tap water at home). From there it is piped all over the ship or submarine to various places like the kitchen, laundry (no, sea water is not used for washing clothes), the head (bathroom) and scuttlebutt's (water fountains). The heat source can come from different places. On nuclear powered vessels, super-heated compressed steam can be used as a heat source and they usually have several electric systems that can be used for axillary purposes like if there were a fire to be put out (yes, they use fresh water for fire fighting because of the corrosives of sea water). On non-nuclear powered vessels, they use the heat produced by the boiler-type steam plant that also provides the steam for the GT's (gas turbines).

It's all actually a very simple process. Heat the sea water, condense the steam and you have fresh water. The brine that is left (salt, sand and other minerals) is then flushed back out to sea. Ocean liners use the same process.
Why haven't we found a way to distill ocean water for Southern California?

I was watching an episode of Doomsday Preppers, and a guy took a fresnal lens from a projection TV and used it to magnify the sun to boil the water and distill it.

Imagine if we could build solar water purification stations to distill water from the ocean? Actually, you just have to boil the water, so any major heat source could be used.

:icon_welder:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I imagine it's more expensive than previous methods. But now may be the only option. I can see a small company making personal household style converters being a good business model.

Richard

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
California drought: no relief in sight
snip:
The California drought reached another grim milestone on Friday when the state announced that for the first time in the 54-year history of the State Water Project it may not be able to allocate water to the nearly 25 million Californians who depend on the vast system of dams and reservoirs for supplemental water supplies. The Department of Water Resources also said it planned to reduce allocations to farmland by 50%, the maximum extent allowable by law.

read more at link

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/feb/03/california-drought-no-relief-in-sight

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
The Man-Made California Drought
snip:

California’s water storage and transportation system designed by federal and state governments includes 1,200 miles of canals and nearly 50 reservoirs that provide water to about 22 million people and irrigate about four million acres of land throughout the state.

In May 2007, a Federal District Court Judge ruled that increased amounts of water had to be re-allocated towards protecting the Delta smelt – a three-inch fish on the Endangered Species List.

Because of this ruling, in 2009 and 2010 more than 300 billion gallons (or 1 million acre-feet) of water were diverted away from farmers in the Central Valley and into the San Francisco Bay – eventually going out into the Pacific Ocean

more at link:
http://naturalresources.house.gov/issues/issue/?IssueID=5921

Last edited:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
After twelve years of planning and over six years in the state’s permitting process, the Carlsbad Desalination Project has received final approvals from every required regulatory and permitting agency in the state, including the California Coastal Commission, State Lands Commission and Regional Water Quality Control Board. A 30-year Water Purchase Agreement is in place between the San Diego County Water Authority (SDCWA) and Poseidon for the entire output of the plant. Construction on the plant and pipeline is under way and the Project will be delivering water to the businesses and residents in San Diego County by 2016.

Poseidon specializes in developing and financing water infrastructure projects, primarily seawater desalination and water treatment plants. Poseidon’s projects are implemented through innovative public-private partnerships that link private financing with the construction and operation of water supply and treatment projects.

http://carlsbaddesal.com/

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I find this about as surprising as New Orleans flooding during large storms. Build a city on the coast below sea level, it will flood.

Similarly if you build large cities in the middle of the desert no matter what you do you will eventually have a large city without any water. Look at the middle east. It is all desert, has been for centuries. They build cities near naturally occurring water sources, not where ever the heck they want and then try to bring the water to the people, much less cry when they run out.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I don't think they will ever get rain.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When any species gets too big for its britches, Mother Nature steps in and trims it down or out altogether...we can't continue to feed a world/species that won't stop breeding on its own.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I don't feel like it's as much about rain or drought, as it is about the demand for the water going up as the southwest has grown.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
I don't feel like it's as much about rain or drought, as it is about the demand for the water going up as the southwest has grown.
It will keep going up, it's slowly crawling it's way east, the lake near my house is already half gone, literally the other side of the bridge is dry, and that's where dallas gets it water.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Pollution, manmade issues causes this to happen. Then when the rain does begin, the floods will start. History repeats itself. Years ago I always said 'When we get all this heavy rain and flooding, why doesn’t anyone pump out the water and put in tankers and use it where there is drought. The rain water can be purified for drinking as well. The water can be used for irrigation/crops...livestock'. Nobody ever listens I guess. I have had rain barrels for over 30 years I have used to water my gardens and our yard and to give our horses drinking water whenever we go into a bit of a drought. Easy and cheap...the rain water is free!!! Go figure, mankind.

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
The drought is very real for us here in NE Calif. I drove on dry dirt where I should have had a snowmobile on 10+' of snow weekend before last. Last winter we had one good storm, at xmas, then mostly nothing.

There are a number of parts to the issue and the obvious ones float to the top, building where there isn't enough water, very real drought, high demand for food producing irrigation, too damn many poeple . . .

Desalinization is a great idea, where do you put the minerals (salt) after you take it our of the water? It's not just naturally occurring salts and minerals, theres heavy metals, pesitcides, PCBs, you name it in the waste materials. What do other countries do with it? There's the next dillema of what to do with that toxic waste.

I live where water comes from that gets exported to various parts of the state and is at the top of a large power generation system. Our lake was supposed to get seismic inspection this year, which entailed a partial drain of the lake. I'm hearing the power company has postponed that level lowering indefinitely.

Fortunately my water outlook is ok, I won't have a green lawn again but I will have enough to use for me and my small garden.
Still, we are praying for snow, a March miracle would be nice but if it did it enough to get caught up we would be like the rest of the country, buried, hopefully for weeks.

It's dry out there and we've had fires as well where we don't at this time of year. So be safe if you go to the woods.

Rich

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I worked for a company that supplies equipment to the oil/gas and water industry. About 10 years ago an article in a water magazine going around that warned all about this drought. The Southwest has historically had periods of drought in a 500-700 year wet-dry cycle verified by the tree rings in Brislecone pine trees. When the big migration out there stated in early 1900's, that was at the peak of the wet cycle and everything looked good. Due to the population growth, seven states foresaw water problems and created a system of allocating the water. Up until recently, Cal was able to use the leftover water as they needed. Even in 2001, the Dept of Interior signed an agreement with Ca that they had until 2016 to come up with a plan to prevent exactly what is happening now. What no one has seen yet is the affects on CO and the other states upstream that have to allow a certain quantity of water to the downstream states.
Dave
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Compact

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
The thing about all this that bothers me is that Government and private sector investors will come up with and spend trillions of dollars on something like a 2 mile particle accelerator that may or may not actually produce something beneficial but will drag their asses around for decades to actually build something that will have a direct positive impact on millions of people and future generations.

Why not just pump millions of gallons of sea water directly into the desert and let nature take it's course...it will take probably only a week or so to draw the water out of that in the most natural form of distilling...leaving the salt and minerals on the desert floor and causing, within a few days or weeks at most, a torrential downpour that will solve the water crisis...

And that probably won't cost more than a billion dollars...

EDIT: OK, after spouting off about this I decided to research it a bit...and it has actually been considered...and aside from wiping out an entire desert ecology it is workable...but there are other ideas that have been proven to work...just a matter of how urgent this is to others who are not affected by the drought but can sit back and make decisions while others roast and dye of thirst...

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2008/sep/02/alternativeenergy.solarpower

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals