• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

NEW A4LD grinding in any gear

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I installed the remanufactured transmission myself. I did install the torque converter correctly because I checked the clearance which is 1 and 5/8 inch from the bellhousing.

There is no sound until it is put into any gear, then it sounds as if something is getting beaten or a grinding or scraping sound. Also, when I push on the gas, it has a hard time trying to move. It moves very reluctantly. After hearing this, I stopped quickly so I could try and resolve the problem without causing further damage.

Does anyone have opinions and or a list of things I can check to fix the issue? The torque converter is new as well.

Thanks for timely replies,
Ross

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Is this a 4WD? Need to be sure the noise isn't coming from the transfer case. Otherwise its a junk transmission and you need to exchange it.

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No it is a 2wd. It seems to be coming from the torque converter, the noise that is. Wouldn't sluggish acceleration be a cause of a bad torque converter too?

Can torque converters be bought bad?

Edited: Also, there is no noise in neutral or park, but all gears have the noise.

Last edited:

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yes torque converters can be bad out of the box just like anything else.

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Upon further research, most things point to a faulty converter. Though I am still open to new ideas. I am not the best when it comes to working on cars, but I can do most things that don't require expensive equipment.

After looking over several sites, issues and reason leads me to believe it is the torque converter. Through process of elimination, this is the only thing that makes sense. Other than what might be a faulty transmission as well. I will start with the simplest for now and work my way to the harder things.

So if anymore advice is out there, I am willing to listen. That way I can start driving myself back to work again soon.

Thanks,
Ross

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
A mechanics stethoscope will really help to pin point the noise. $20 at Sears for a good one.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Bah, return the converter and get a new one. Its all conjecture at this point and I don't think anyone else can offer any different advice. Assuming you can exchange the converter, in essence the only thing you're wasting is time. Knock it out brah.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

raggadie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
con·jec·ture
kənˈjekCHər/Submit
noun
an opinion or conclusion formed on the basis of incomplete information.
"conjectures about the newcomer were many and varied"
synonyms: speculation, guesswork, surmise, fancy, presumption, assumption, theory, postulation, supposition; More
antonyms: fact
an unproven mathematical or scientific theorem.

I did not have incomplete information. I used reason and logic to rule out the problems. It was the torque converter by the way.

I do not see the point of this site if all I gets is poor thought out responses.

I loved the one where it said the transmission was junk.
Now we got conjecture into the mix.

Thanks for the non-help. I got an idea though. If you do not know, do not post needless information.

Ross

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals