• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dealing with inattentive drivers.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ok..some might call me a A-hole or whatever, but this is how I deal with inattentive drivers.

We all see them, driving down the road farting around on their phone, or putting on makeup in the mirror. I have actually seen some kid playing his Nintendo ds videogame, and some lady ( I actually worked with her at one time) reading a paperback book. Talk about 50 shades of dumbazz!

I Haven't really done it much in my truck, but in cars that have the hand break right next to the drivers seat...oh yea.

If I notice one of these inattentive drivers next to me ...I yank the brake and let the tires scream for mercy. This usually results in the person getting slapped back into reality while said distraction in their hand goes flying around in the car. Unless it was that lady putting on lipstick...I think it went up into her nose.

After they finish their panic mode of trying to figure out whats going on, and notice me laughing...they get really pissy. I have yet to figure out why? :dunno:

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
That is why I am trying to get my uncle (he works for a truck building company) to get me some air horns off of a junked out fire truck.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
They don't bother me so much anymore, cause by now I know I can't "snatch them bald-headed," as my late MIL used to say. The ones that get me are the ones, inattentive or not, who come flyin' up on my tailgate and want to hide there like they're superglued to my hitch, just waitin' for a chance to fly around me.
So, I found a little sign in a truck stop and stuck it to my back camper window. Shows a Model T puttin' along and the caption reads..."Old Guys Rule." That puts most of the butt-riders off my tail and I can honk and wave the fickle finger of fate if they get particularly annoyed.
Thing about reacting to inattentive drivers is they are mostly young and women in my experience. So they could spite you out to the law...and good luck xplaining that what you did was harmless and for their own good...old white guys are the world's demons and kicking bags today.

johnday

Reaction score
Barton City Michigan, under a rock or log. Where
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
When I die, I want to go where the dogs are.
I know just how ya feel. I drive a 42 wheeler for a living, and see crap many times a day. In the big truck, I just figure that if they hit me, they'll be the ones paying for it. It's aggravating to say the least, that these self important people are even allowed to breed. Sometimes, an accident is caused by them, and they just keep on going, totally oblivious to what just happened. The aggressive drivers are just as bad. I cringe everytime on the street in downstate Michigan, Detroit, er, Wayne county. It's gotten to the pointe my wife won't let me go out on my own, well, almost.LOL.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On the bike I just grab the clutch and let the pipe do the talking... Or if it gets really bad the hella supertone wakes them up pretty well

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My dad was telling me of how when he sees someone texting and driving on the highway he lays on the horn and watches them freak out.

I don't do a whole lot of driving (average about 175 miles a week) but I still nearly get hit probably at least twice a week. The funny thing is most of the time from what I can see it's not so much the other driver being distracted by anything as it is they're just completely inattentive and do whatever they want behind the wheel.

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
I have two teen daughters that are about to become new drivers, and I tell them every time I get the chance that when they are behind the wheel there is nothing more important than keeping the 2-3 ton bullet they're piloting in control and in their lane. No text, phone call, makeup check, friend riding shotgun, cute boy whistling, billboard advertising a shoe sale, NOTHING! Plus they have to be aware of other drivers who haven't learned that simple lesson.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Around here the problem is mostly people who don't know what a yellow line is. Especially at night. So, I have a habit of getting just as far onto their side as they are mine and letting them see the light. All 500ish watts of it!:icon_rofl:

Just the lights worked really well one night when some idiot thought it would be a good idea to pass when i was about 200 feet away coming toward them at 50mph. I'm think they took the rear bumper of the car they tried to pass they got back over so fast.

Last edited:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
SenorNoob: Your post about the bright lights remined me of something that happend to me many many years ago.

I was out in the middle of nowhere Kansas on a old county blacktop road. I was driving a old 62 ford f100 ( lifted on 33's) with my low beams on,( and the headlights on a 62 ford are not that bright anyway even on high beams)... and a car coming towards me flashed his high beams... So I flashed my high beams. He flashed his brights again, so I flashed mine.
Then he kicked on his high beams and left them on..." Alright a-hole" I said as I hit my brights and all the switches on my dash, lighting up the 4 KC Daylighters on the roof and the 2 KC's on the bumper.
The car slammed on the breaks as I passed by then lit up his light bar....Yeah, my lights were brighter...but his, was more colorful....red and blue...and they spin. "OH SHAT"
After I pulled over, he walked up to my window and the first thing I said was " You WIN...you have more lights than me". After a conversation between us about what happend, he apologised for leaving his brights on and told me never to use my KC lights ever again on the road and to put covers on them.

If that happend in this day of age.... I would have probably been, tazed, arrested, truck impounded..........etc.

My grandpa had lights mounted backwards on his tool box. He called them a-hole lights. it was for the people that come up behind you with the highbeams on and stay there just to irritate you.

Last edited:

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My grandpa had lights mounted backwards on his tool box. He called them a-hole lights. it was for the people that come up behind you with the highbeams on and stay there just to irritate you.

Great minds think alike. I have a set mounted under the rear bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
SenorNoob: Your post about the bright lights remined me of something that happend to me many many years ago.

I was out in the middle of nowhere Kansas on a old county blacktop road. I was driving a old 62 ford f100 ( lifted on 33's) with my low beams on,( and the headlights on a 62 ford are not that bright anyway even on high beams)... and a car coming towards me flashed his high beams... So I flashed my high beams. He flashed his brights again, so I flashed mine.
Then he kicked on his high beams and left them on..." Alright a-hole" I said as I hit my brights and all the switches on my dash, lighting up the 4 KC Daylighters on the roof and the 2 KC's on the bumper.
The car slammed on the breaks as I passed by then lit up his light bar....Yeah, my lights were brighter...but his, was more colorful....red and blue...and they spin. "OH SHAT"
After I pulled over, he walked up to my window and the first thing I said was " You WIN...you have more lights than me". After a conversation between us about what happend, he apologised for leaving his brights on and told me never to use my KC lights ever again on the road and to put covers on them.

If that happend in this day of age.... I would have probably been, tazed, arrested, truck impounded..........etc.

:icon_rofl:

A buddy of mine had a pair of KC lights on his truck, one was aimed at the flatbed and one was aimed behind the truck to make it easier to hook up a trailer at night. So one night he was going down the road and a car came flying up behind him and started tailgating with it's brights on. So he got irritated after a bit and lit up the lights.... only to see miles of reflective tape on the car and a nice light bar on top. OOPs!

I had been thinking of rigging up on-board air on my F-150 and running a train horn to get people's attention. But now that someone ran a red light and totaled my dad's truck that I was driving (ranger, poor thing), I'm thinking I should sell the F-150 and buy a deuce-an-a-half for my work truck. And put a train horn on that. Nothing says get out of my way like an angry horn and seeing a giant steel bumper at window height.

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl:

A buddy of mine had a pair of KC lights on his truck, one was aimed at the flatbed and one was aimed behind the truck to make it easier to hook up a trailer at night. So one night he was going down the road and a car came flying up behind him and started tailgating with it's brights on. So he got irritated after a bit and lit up the lights.... only to see miles of reflective tape on the car and a nice light bar on top. OOPs!

I had been thinking of rigging up on-board air on my F-150 and running a train horn to get people's attention. But now that someone ran a red light and totaled my dad's truck that I was driving (ranger, poor thing), I'm thinking I should sell the F-150 and buy a deuce-an-a-half for my work truck. And put a train horn on that. Nothing says get out of my way like an angry horn and seeing a giant steel bumper at window height.

Nothing says "get outta the way" like a Deuce & 1/2 period!! No horn needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals