• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My first skid plate

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Been piddling with building a skid plate for the front of my '98 for a while. I was inspired by pics posted by camodown back in 2007. His truck was much further along than mine is, but you gotta start somewhere, right?

I gave mine some slope to cover the p/s cooler etc.

View attachment 13843
View attachment 13844

I have yet to add a 20 ton press to my shop inventory, so I improvised a bit to bend my metal. I scored it about halfway through for the length of the bend, set it on some 4x4 scraps and stomped the crap out of it til I had what I needed. Once satisfied, I filled the cut and ground it down. I think it came out pretty good.

View attachment 13845
View attachment 13846
View attachment 13849

He had removed his stabilizer bar for better flex, but I opted to keep mine since it's still primarily my DD. I just modified his design some to clear the bar.

View attachment 13847
View attachment 13851

After a dry fit and some minor modifications (translation - corrections and reinforcement), I hit it with some paint/primer. I went with a satin finish black. Gonna let it dry overnight and mount it up in the morning. Finished pics to follow.

View attachment 13848
View attachment 13850

That cardboard shot was an idea I had early on in the creative process, before I saw camodown's.

Thanks for the inspiration, TRS members, and especially camodown.

Last edited:

NEVERLIFT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
nice! looks good. did you use 3/16" plate?

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Yupyup! 3/16" plate. Should be stout enough I think. Gonna be a while before much will be asked of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals