• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Broken thermostat housing bolt 2001 4.0L SOHC

texashale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi guys. I'm actually working on a Sport Trac, but looking at various Sport Trac forums, it seems like the guys aren't too savvy. Anyhow. I replaced the thermostat housing on the engine, and when I was trying to get the upper radiator hos on, there wasn't enough room between the thermostat housing radiator hose inlet and the intake manifold to actually get the hose on, so I was trying to see if maybe the thermostat housing wasn't all the way bolted down on the engine, and broke one of the bolts off. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I can get the bolt out without having to take the intake manifold off? If not, how do I take the intake manifold off? Every youtube video I have seen that describes it has a different intake manifold that has these weird pipe looking parts coming out the sides and wrapping around to the back. Mine looks like a very tall supercharger if that makes sense... I appreciate any help I can get. Mike

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
This is an Explorer 4.0l SOHC lower thermostat page: http://bengrosser.com/howto/fordthermostat/clean-up.php

I normally use a Reverse drill bit in a reversible drill to drill out bolt, smaller size to start.
The act of drilling in the reverse direction usually causes the bolt to just unscrew when drill bit catches a few times.
Move to larger bit after smaller bit is down enough.
Auto parts stores almost always have Reverse drill bits, some hardware stores but less common.

If it doesn't unscrew then you still have hole to try eze-out.

If you can't get at the hole with a drill then yes you will have to start pulling off stuff until you can.

Google: explorer sport trac 4.0l sohc upper intake

Looks to be a few videos with varying types of upper intakes

Last edited:

texashale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ron, the problem is the thermostat housing is still in place. I cant get it out because of the bolt. most of the bolt stayed... I will be able to get the bolt out with channel locks probably, but I can't get the thermostat housing out... I should have clarified that. sorry...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Then what you may have to do is lift up the thermostat housing as high as you can, take sensors off, and wedge it up, then use hack saw to cut the bolt shaft as high as you can, so you can grip it later.
Once bolt is cut housing should come out.

Last edited:

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
If the bolt threaded in easily by hand and then you over tightened it and broke the head off you can usually get a small pick and spin what's left of the bolt out that way. But if the bolt bound up at all threading in it wont work. The pick trick only works one out of a hundred times. Worth a shot though.

texashale

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. It was tough to get in, I really should have bought new bolts because these were rather rusted. I was thinking about using a sawsall to cut it off, so the hacksaw kinda confirms that idea. Might have to go that approach.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals