• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Excessive valvetrain noise, 410 cam rebuilt motor

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hi i got a 410 cam in the beast and the motor is all rebuilt. New rocker arms, lifters, dual valve springs all the goodies. I got 5.550" smith bros pushrods and the motor ticks really bad still. I pulled everything apart and the contact points on everything look good, the tops of the valves look a little odd... But the rocker arms are nice and smooth so i think its fine, probably just the machining that my machinist did to them. The only bad thing i saw was some of the valve springs not being in their seats on the head side.

Any ideas? Its a very loud tick i can hear it in the header when stethoscoping it, and also the valve cover. Do i need longer pushrods? The lifters are all good none of them have any give.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just being devils advocate here but did the new cam get timed right?

Helped a friend build his chevy v8, had a valve train tick I couldn't adjust out.
He had used manufacturers mark on new cam/gear not the timing mark...............
Tick was valve and piston touching, well collision really, lol.

Reason I mention this is because you said the valves look funny and springs unseated.
I would pull all the spark plugs and manually rotate engine, to see if you hear any thing.
Then crank the engine to see if you hear anything.
Then do compression test, all will be lower if cam is mistimed

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well ive pulled the heads once already to change the valves, since last time i did it the valve tips got messed up, and the valves and pistons looked fine, plus i double checked all of that when i had the motor out for the rebuild, so im 99% positive that parts okay... But either way its a good point, ill have to check it one last time with the plugs and all out, i think that parts fine tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you pull spark plugs and have valve covers off, put rags down to catch oil.
Then have someone crank engine, or remote start button.
Then put finger on each rocker, valve stem end, as it open and closes you might feel the tick.

Could be CPS synchro as well same speed as valve train

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
My cps sensor is fairly new 1000 miles maybe, its a napa part so i hope its decent and hasnt started going! When using a stethoscope it definitely sounded like valve train, but thats an excellent idea! Except the remote starter i dont have one... Ill have a helper do it [emoji5]

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So i did what u said ron and it seems none of them really have much play in them if any.. Couldnt really feel any knocking. My machinist told me that valvetrain noise with a big cam is fairly normal and especially on a 4.0 since it has a poor oiling system (to the top end) to begin with. So idk what to do, i think i may just throw it back together and forget about it. Everything looks good so idk..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.9l had poor oiling at the top after center cam bearings wore out.
My 300k+ miles 4.0l still has quiet valve train, injectors are noisy, lol, Ford injectors.

I haven't put a big cam in a 4.0l but have in many other Ford and Chevy engines, never heard of a tick being "normal", low vacuum, crappy idle and lopping yes, lol.

Could the tick have been spark plug wire, spark jumping a gap, that can sound "ticky" and would have same timing as valve train

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals