• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

emission testing

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
I hear alot of yall talk of having to pass emission test. In michigan ive never had to do one. Do most states have them? they really sound like a pain in the ass.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
it varies from state to state. in some states certian parts of the state are subject to testing while other parts aint. in my part of ohio i have no emmisions test to pass, but (at least at one time) some of the major cities like cleveland and cincinati may. california is the worst, i would not live there (or at least not have a caifornia registered vehicle) at one point in time when i was concerned about where i lived as far as testing, i used my old home address for awhile. not exactly legal, but neither are some of my vehicles.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
They're really not bad at all. In CT, you go once every 2 years. If your vehicle is running even halfway decent, it'll pass. On OBD-2 cars, they just plug in a scanner. If there's no codes, you pass. Older cars get the sniffer test. Vehicles 25+ years old are exempt. New cars don't get tested until they're 5 years old. A lit check engine light means automatic fail. None of my vehicles have ever failed.
http://www.ctemissions.com/#30821

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It depends on where you live as to how bad it is. Right now where I live I don't have to do the extra emissions test. But during the regular inspection they are required to check to make sure that everything is there (in other words if your truck came with a cat, it better have one under there even if it doesn't work). At least so far a CEL doesn't mean an automatic fail for regular inspection but for the areas with emissions testing it does, which I think is a bit stupid because some newer vehicles will throw a CEL for just about anything (I've heard that some new vehicles will throw a CEL when your windshield wipers need replaced.... insanity).

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
My county is the only one in the state that requires it. OBDii they plug em in. 95 and older tail pipe probe. It's an annual requirement to renew your tags even for the newest cars. Just about every car that fails needs only a minor fix. The major ones come from drivers that treat the vehicles like crap. People come by my store probably 30 times a week for us to pull the codes for them. It's a good way to sell parts they need.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Mine are nice and easy in the county I live in. If the gas cap passes a leakdown test and the physical components are present, don't have to work, just have to look like they could, it passes.

bmonee5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
At my local muffler shop he claimed that we would be getting tested when we renew our registration....well we do not have to have any smog tests but he did sell a high flo cat for 180 bucks, and he would NOT put a test pipe in...oh well.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Full dyno testing here in Colorado. They pull codes and check the tailpipe.
Nice thing is they have roadside stations that check your emissions as you drive by it, it Uses infared sensors. If you drive by one twice in the two years before it comes up, you automaticly don't have to have one done at a testing station, that is if you pass. We also have a smoking vehicle hotline here that if you see someone who's tailpipe is smoking you can report them.

Prety much every county around the metro area is included in the program now. We are an ozone atainment area and have realy strict guidlines to abide by.
I think we are almost Californias evil, I mean equal.

Last edited:

Epixstar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Automatic
if you fail can they make it so you cant drive your car anymore

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
if you fail can they make it so you cant drive your car anymore
In CT, if you fail, or simply never get tested, they won't renew your registration. And if you get pulled over by a cop and he sees on his computer that you're not in compliance, he can give you a ticket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals