• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First drive in the B2

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
About 2 weeks I bought an 89 4x4 Bronco 2. I was told that the clutch and throwout bearing were shot. So, I took the owners word for it, gave him a grand, loaded it on the trailer and came on home. Well, the clutch was shot, as was the TB. But so was the entire tranny.

Managed to find a rebuilt tranny with bell housing, cuz mine was shot, for $650. That includes a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Yesterday, made the 16 hour round trip to Florida to pick up the tranny.

Today we started around 8 am. Put in new flywheel, clutch and tranny. Rebuilt both power window motors with the 1/4 nut trick that I read on here. And installed new power steering hoses.

Finally got to take her out for a short test drive tonight. Definitely will be doing a new exhaust on it soon. Previous owner has what sounds like a NASCAR muffler on it. Too loud for me, so it's gonna go.
Maybe nobody cared to hear about this, but after looking at her sitting in my driveway for two weeks I was excited to get out on the road.

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
About 2 weeks I bought an 89 4x4 Bronco 2. I was told that the clutch and throwout bearing were shot. So, I took the owners word for it, gave him a grand, loaded it on the trailer and came on home. Well, the clutch was shot, as was the TB. But so was the entire tranny.

Managed to find a rebuilt tranny with bell housing, cuz mine was shot, for $650. That includes a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Yesterday, made the 16 hour round trip to Florida to pick up the tranny.

Today we started around 8 am. Put in new flywheel, clutch and tranny. Rebuilt both power window motors with the 1/4 nut trick that I read on here. And installed new power steering hoses.

Finally got to take her out for a short test drive tonight. Definitely will be doing a new exhaust on it soon. Previous owner has what sounds like a NASCAR muffler on it. Too loud for me, so it's gonna go.
Maybe nobody cared to hear about this, but after looking at her sitting in my driveway for two weeks I was excited to get out on the road.
Nice :icon_thumby:. Welcome to the Deuce club :D. Any future plans for the truck or are you gonna keep her stock? Also post up some pics!

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I bought her with a 4" Superlift kit on it. Explorer wheels, 29x12.5 Super Swampers. PO told me that the front axle had been upgraded to a D35. He was gonna do an 8.8 rear, but never got around to it. No big plans yet, as it's mostly gonna be a camp/hunting truck.

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I bought her with a 4" Superlift kit on it. Explorer wheels, 29x12.5 Super Swampers. PO told me that the front axle had been upgraded to a D35. He was gonna do an 8.8 rear, but never got around to it. No big plans yet, as it's mostly gonna be a camp/hunting truck.

Clean looking rig, that's good on the d35 swap, half the battle is done. Looks like you need to slap some bigger meats under that thing :icon_thumby:.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
I'm new to the B2's. How can I tell if it's a D35 or if he was bs'ing me? I had an 88 full size bronco years back, but first dealings with the little ones.

Swepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wheres the thread about the window motors trick? cant find it with searchin

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely a D35. 10 bolt pattern on front of axle and Warn manual locking hubs.

Thanks for that link. I gotta do more searching on this forum!!

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely a D35. 10 bolt pattern on front of axle and Warn manual locking hubs.

Thanks for that link. I gotta do more searching on this forum!!
Good deal, and no problem on the link :icon_thumby:. There is a wealth of very good information on TRS :icon_cheers:.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pretty blue. Me likey

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
The color is great. The previous owner painted it Ford Tractor Blue. It seems tough as hell.

Worked on a few more things today. Headlights are badly yellowed and have alot of moisture in them. Ordered a new pair of headlights and the trim bezels for each headlight. Also ordered the receiver hitch for the back. After hunting season, we'll be fabbing up a front reciever.

In the meantime, I gotta figure out something for a center console. There is nothing in the truck now, and having nothing to rest my arm on sucks bad!!!

Catch22556

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
The color is great. The previous owner painted it Ford Tractor Blue. It seems tough as hell.

Worked on a few more things today. Headlights are badly yellowed and have alot of moisture in them. Ordered a new pair of headlights and the trim bezels for each headlight. Also ordered the receiver hitch for the back. After hunting season, we'll be fabbing up a front reciever.

In the meantime, I gotta figure out something for a center console. There is nothing in the truck now, and having nothing to rest my arm on sucks bad!!!
You could always hit up a junkyard and find a center console out of an Exploder. There is plenty of room between the seats on both my B2's to bolt one up.

SmokeEater829

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
Never thought about getting one from an explorer. Looks like I'll be raiding the Pull-a-part yard in my area again! They have a bunch of explorers there, hopefully I can find something that will work. Also, gonna start looking for an 8.8 rear end to swap in. Summertime projects are gonna be fun this year!!!

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could always hit up a junkyard and find a center console out of an Exploder. There is plenty of room between the seats on both my B2's to bolt one up.
Both of my B2's came w the center console. Ive got a buddy w a bench seat

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals