• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Base plates for a tow bar

Fun_size_B2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello out there.

So here's my situation.

I'm buying a B2 thats a few hours away. I thought I'd be able to rent a car trailer an go pick it up but my vehicle doesnt meet the towing specs to pull a car trailer w/ a B2 on it ... so a rented car trailer isnt happening.

Then i thought car dolly but the few rental places nearby dont have one on hand.

My Plan C was to buy a tow bar so I did.

I've never used a tow bar before so i started looking up information on tow bars and B2's. There's not too much out there.

I read that I will need tow bar bases. So i Googled that an found 2. One on etrailers for $300 and another called blue ox for $425

This is more than i wanted to spend, i dont plan on towing this B2 around. I just need to pull it home.

Does any one know of any other options for tow bar bases that won't cost as much?

The B2 is in need of minor engine work so driving it home is not an option.

Thanks in advance for any help.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What year b2? there is a difference in the bumper mount, I believe 88 up is the split. I made my own for the 88 up. I also did one on my 93 with the pieces that came with the tow bar...drilled some holes and mounted directly to the bumper, make sure the bumper has all the bolts and tightened properly.

FYI bumper chrome will dull a drill bit, grind a spot off first.

bronco2fan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 inch body lift
Tire Size
Or, you can rent a pickup that can pull the BII on a trailer. Get the Truck and trailer from the same place. Doesn't U-Haul rent trucks? May be worth checking out, Just my 2 cents worth.

Fun_size_B2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
What year b2? there is a difference in the bumper mount, I believe 88 up is the split. I made my own for the 88 up. I also did one on my 93 with the pieces that came with the tow bar...drilled some holes and mounted directly to the bumper, make sure the bumper has all the bolts and tightened properly.

FYI bumper chrome will dull a drill bit, grind a spot off first.
Thanks for the FYI i may go that route. How far did you pull your 93 after you drilled into the bumper?

The B2 I'm going after is a 88.

Fun_size_B2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Or, you can rent a pickup that can pull the BII on a trailer. Get the Truck and trailer from the same place. Doesn't U-Haul rent trucks? May be worth checking out, Just my 2 cents worth.
Thanks for your 2 cents. I'll check into it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've towed it locally. I personally would have no problem going cross country. There's the bracket in front and another piece of slightly bigger metal behind that sandwich the bumper. Two bolts 1/2" grade 5 bolts and nylocks hold each bracket all together. Never use the same size backer as the bracket because it can act as a guillotine. Also have two 3/8" grade 70 chains with quick connects going from towed frame to towee receiver loops.

Before I had a trailer for my race truck I flat towed that all over the country. That had a quick release for removing the bumper and brackets for the tow bar that fit the quick release. I copied a quick release bracket made for vehicles towed behind motorhomes using a foldable tow bar.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals